• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkan_Fireblade

Strategy Games Today != Strategy.

This topic is 5837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys i thought i would be a good idea to talk about startegy games today and weather we think that there really is startegy in them or is it just mindless - make men - get resources - go fight - repeat until win -. IMO there really isnt that much strategy in games today. So this thread will also be devoted to how we can improve them. about 4 years ago i came across a demo of a strategy game on gamesdomain.com called "Knights and Merchants". so i downloaded it, it turned out to be the best strategy game i had ever played so i bought it. now it is still the best strategy game i have ever played, out of all the RTSs games i have played, AOE, AOK, Sever Kingdoms 2, Alpha Centari, Empire Earth ect, Knights and Merchants(K&M), has had the most micro management, and it was all the Micro Management that made it fun, the problem with RTSs now is that they try to automate everything and make as less micro management as possible. if we give the player the reigns of his empire and let him make every single desision, i think the players would have a lot more fun. that would also allow for totally unique Civilizations and empires. just my 2cp. What do you guys think? Sir Darkan Fireblade -"I Feel like im playing Poker i dont know who''s bluffing!"-

Advertisement
I think there is strategy in them. I am constantly strategizing my next move. You seem to have your terms confused. Micromanaging units is not strategy. Strategy is the general game plan. Tactics are more like the micromanagement part. Tactics are the way you execute the implement the strategy. Micromanagement is my (and many other people''s) least favorite part. Why do you think hotkeys and hotkeyed groups are so popular? I like some micromanagement during battle though, to be able to tell my troops exactly what to do. But sometimes I want to be able to step back and concentrate on the big picture (the strategy) a little.

-David

Personally I prefer micromanagement in simulation and city building games like sim city or rollerocaster tycoon. when it comes to combat i think you want more strategic challenges, like limited units and which to use where.
The problem is that good strategic gameplay isnt importanat to publishers. I worked on a fantastic tactical game that was as tactical as chess and totally original, yet publishers werent too interested in the gameplay, they just fussed over the graphics style.
Age of empires is an example of a agme that isnt as strategic as it could be, but is a ncie balance of micro-management and stratgey, so it appeals to lovers of both genres.

http://www.positech.co.uk

quote:
Quote by cliffski:
Age of empires is an example of a agme that isnt as strategic as it could be...

Check this site out:
http://www.planetageofempires.com/strategy/articles/

quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
I think you need to play Starcraft

Starcraft is an example of how the title of this thread is true. It isnt strategy, its a click fest.

Guest Anonymous Poster
BitBlt: I suggest you go look up both tactics and strategy at www.m-w.com - you''ll find tactics is the less detailed entry being only concerned with the general game plan, whereas strategy is taking into consideration all the factors.

Yes, it may just be semantics, but the original poster has a point.

Now, saying that this extra level of management is MORE fun is highly questionable - there is a reason more and more games are shifting away from micro-management - it''s to appeal to a wider audience - one that doesn''t find the nitty gritty very interesting.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Anonymous Poster,

Strategy:

- The science of military command, or the science of projecting campaigns and directing great military movements; generalship. From allwords.com.

- A long-range plan for achieving something or reaching a goal, or the skill of making such plans. From dictionary.cambridge.org.

Stratagem:

- Maneuver, manoeuvre, tactical maneuver, tactical manoeuvre. From poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/wn.

Tactic/Tactics:

- The science and art of disposing military and naval forces in order for battle, and performing military and naval evolutions. It is divided into grand tactics, or the tactics of battles, and elementary tactics, or the tactics of instruction. From www.allwords.com.

- A specific action intended to get a particular result. From dictionary.cambridge.org.

Reading and responding to this thread gives me an idea: how about a system where high-level decisions are taken in the comfort of a general''s office, while low-level tactics are employed in real time and subordinate to the general strategy? The game can alternate between the two modes as necessary, planning and carrying out spy missions, using the information gained to plan and carry out reconnaissance missions, and finally using the information gained to plan and carry out an ambitious attack.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!