Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wheres the mouse gone?

This topic is 5652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started to use DirectInput (DX8.0) with the mouse for the first time, and now the cursor doesn''t even show up on the screen. Why is this, and how can I fix it. I know I could probably use a bitmap for the mouse and set its coordinates to where the mouse is, but is there another way?

quote:
Original post by Mosh
I started to use DirectInput (DX8.0) with the mouse for the first time, and now the cursor doesn''t even show up on the screen. Why is this, and how can I fix it.

DirectInput works directly with hardware. In particular, it bypasses Windows completely and as a result Windows doesn''t get to play with the mouse cursor. If you want to have one, you need to draw it yourself.
quote:

I know I could probably use a bitmap for the mouse and set its coordinates to where the mouse is, but is there another way?

That''s probably the only way IF you''re using exclusive mode for DirectInput. You *may* be able to use standard Windows stuff if you''re using nonexclusive cooperative mode.