3d movies

Started by
3 comments, last by Haplo01 21 years, 10 months ago
Say i want to create a 3d movie for my game. how would i go about doing it? Could anyone please tell me? Proud member of the Osiris Network
Proud member of the Osiris Network
Advertisement
Get a video-capture card, put it in a second machine (preferably). Attch a passthrough cable from the video out of the videocard on your PC, through the capture card on PC2, and out to the monitor. When you now play on one machine, the other will capture your input.

If you''re looking for something cheaper, you can always try rigging your program to taking a screenshot every frame. For best result, you should move along a pre-recorded frame (since capturing a frame will most likely take you a lot longer than it did to render it).

A cheap solution, for powerfull hardware and small resolution, is Hypersnap DX; a small program that captures a region of video-space. Be ready to watch your framerate plummet, though..

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
I don''t know if the above post is what you meant. If you mean like cut-scene video or something you have 3 choices:
1) render the movie in 3dSmax or some 3d program, then replay the .avi file (or whatever type) in your game.
2) Use your engine, but instead of it taking input from the keyboard, you''d need to script it to get it''s input from a file to know what to do.
3) Rig up where every frame is put into a video file, then play it doing what you want it to do, and the output is made into a video that you can replay in the game.

1 would be the best looking, since it''s pre-rendered. 2 would powerful, b/c you could make it do anything. 3 would probably be the easiest.

-David
The easiest solution would definitely be the screenshot per frame method. Play the game and record the camera path, player actions, and perhaps other parameters (depends on your engine). Then play it back: after rendering a frame, capture it, compress it and add it to a video stream. Alternatively, you could simply save the frames as a large collection of TGA files (make sur you have enough diskspace !) and compress them afterwards with a video editing package.

One very important catch: Make sure, to NOT take the capturing/saving time into account, when updating your frame timing, physics engine, and other framerate dependend parameters ! This might require some tweaking on your timing system.

/ Yann
Thanks I''m going to try some of these ideas and see how it comes out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement