Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Win32 API Questions

This topic is 5647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm in the process of building a map editor for my team's current project. I'm running into a few problems and I would really appreciate any help / links anyone can post. Ok, first problem. I have a popup dialog box containing and edit box which will be used to edit script. Would I be better off using Rich Edit or Edit Box for this? Right now I'm using edit box which is working ok, but giving me problems when I save. For instance, if I get past a certain amount of characters, the save doesn't work and the dialog boxes become non-functional. I think that Edit Box isn't good for lots of text. Second. If I do use Rich Text, I need to call AfxInitRichEdit(); This function is generating an undeclared identifier message. This is strange because msvc++ recognizes it. Third. What do you think is the best way to transfer text from an edit box (or rich edit) to a file? Right now I'm using fwrite() but it doesn't seem like the best way to go. Forth. I need to be able to create toolbars that are always on the screen, unlike dialog boxes. If you look at Milkshape or 3d studio, those are the kind of toolbars I'm looking for. If you have any info on making those or if you can direct me to someplace that does, it would be greatly appreciated - Thanx a million, and remember, ANY sources of info that you can suggest would be great, including books. - Chris

"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - TOOL
[TheBlackJester ] [Wildfire Studios ] [edited by - TheBlackJester on June 24, 2002 10:19:21 PM]

I can''t speak to all of your questions, but I can tell you that Edit boxes are limited to 64 Kb of text. You can get away with more on NT/2K/XP, but not on 9x. Text from an Edit box is typically removed with a call to GetWindowText. Transfering text from RichEdit involves a special callback function. Since it appears that you are using MFC, there are likely other methods available. HHH.

Thnx for the replies

"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - TOOL
[TheBlackJester ]

[Wildfire Studios ]

Your single best source for W32 API info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/
The section User Interface Design and Development->Windows Controls will show you how to do a lot of the stuff you''re asking about (although if you''re using MFC it''ll be more complicated).

Twilight Dragon
Win32 API Expert
www.freewebz.com/j-world