xbox, halo, observations - two questions

Started by
9 comments, last by RolandofGilead 21 years, 9 months ago
I was in a video games store earlier today and out of curiousity played Halo in the store(didn''t buy anything). First, I take back every nasty thought I had about the XBox controller but it''s still not my favorite(the playstation is my favorite although the right analog stick can get in the way when trying to do some things). Intuitive except I play a lot space and flight combat games so I kept pushing the joystick the wrong way when trying to point the gun up and down but that''s my fault. Enemy AI, I thought it was neat that they ducked behind obstacles and all but in about one minute the pattern was pretty predictable - or was that just me? Does the ai gets better as the game goes on? I don''t know how far along in the game I was but the objective was to find the entrance to the map room and I started by driving around in that vehicle.
Advertisement
So the X-Box impresses you. What does that have to do with game design?

It sounds like you're just asking about Halo here.

[edited by - Narcus on June 25, 2002 5:28:37 PM]
Narcusmy homepage:http://www.pcis.net/amenzies
You do have the option to invert the controller.

The AI is better with harder difficulties, and it is harder to kill them. Nothing exceptional, but fairl good. Play legendary.

--OctDev
The Tyr project is here.
I''ll turn this topic into game design:

Don''t do what Halo does later in the game.

It has poor level design on some of the indoor levels. You will travel through many many many MANY hallways that look EXACTLY the same. PLEASE don''t do this. :-)

However, I was impressed by the controlls and the outdoor stuff (even though you could feel the framerate dropping at times, which I hate on consoles).

--TheMuuj
--TheMuuj
Anybody who likes video games should watch this gameplay video of Halo, showing the fun physics in the game. It''s pretty impressive stuff. Very funny, too.

http://www.oz.net/~rglass/warthog/
Narcusmy homepage:http://www.pcis.net/amenzies
1)Since when is the input device of a game not considered in its design?

2)The condition where the AI has neat little tricks but overall is stupid is bad.

Attention to detail is always good, each weapon caused a different feedback in the controller and the controller gave feedback that was concurruent with the standard assault rifle/machine gun''s rate of fire.

Besides, what forum would you have me put this in? Don''t we need to examine other games for improvements, things to never ever do, and to maintain a sense of current techniques and technology? The lounge may have been appropriate but I think of it as a place for things that are totally unrelated to games.

Anyways, if you have objections to this thread, petition a moderator to close it, or better yet, just don''t reply, it''s always an option.
There is so overly detailed stuff in that game.
A Speed gadge on the Warhog.
The plasma Pistal shows its amount of caharge on the gun.
Writting on guns ammo and grenades.
Who puts that stuff on. did not notice most till months after i first got the game.
how is a speed gauge overly detailed?

it tells you how fast you''re going, and it''s not useless.

the charge meter tells you if you''re about to run out of plasma stuff so you can cease firing for a few seconds to wait for it to recharge.

the lettering on the gun just adds to the autheintic feel, and the letters on the ammo could tell you what kind of ammo it is, which might be important to some people.

Predictable ai might not be too unrealistic, i mean, if the enemy soldiers or whatever were trained in some camp, wouldn''t they all basically execute tactics they were trained in?

but in a game that might be unrealistic...

...this is a recording.
Anon, those reasons you posted were pretty much garbage. How can you over detail a game? If it looks good, it looks good. I sincerely hope you weren''t trying to imply that they sacrificed gameplay for the details. While the graphics were gorgeous, I still think they were overshadowed by Halo''s gameplay, which might I add, has a very high replay value. The battles are never the same.
Narcus, that is the funniest damn video I have seen in a long while. It reminds me a lot of an old PC game called Stunts! (or 4D Racing for you foreign types . The best part of the game was crashing the car in such a way as to make it fly, fly, fly and record the whole thing to watch again. Ah, the good ol days. Makes me actually want to get Halo...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement