OpenGl v, D3D

Started by
4 comments, last by nickvbs 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Ive been learning d3d for about a week or so and alot of real big timer hardcore game developers on the web seem to use open gl more? Is that true? Is it better than d3d, easier or harder? I want to learn the best of the two. thanks for any advice
Advertisement
The truth is there is no best of the two. They are for the most part the same. While I prefer OpenGL, it is all a matter of opinion. If you are learning D3D, then by all means continue. If sometime down the road you have some free time, learn OpenGL too. There is no better one, in the end you can get the same effects from both APIs.
"...."
Just pick one and use it.
Hey nickvbs,

1. This topic pops up frequently here on gamedev. So search the forums for those threads. Presently, these threads are closed pretty fast though seeing that it''s a pseudo religious discussion.

2. You can find an article here on the site which compares OGL and DX. Read it, and make a descision.

3. Truth is, neither is better.

4. Stick with your choice. DO NOT switch API in the belief that it''ll make it easier for you.

5. Enjoy and make some great games.

PEACE...

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Although I know next to nothing about the subject (end disclaimer), it seems to me that each has one and only one advantage over the other: OpenGL has the advantage of much greater portability (D3D is limited to Win32 platforms), while D3D is part of DirectX, which means that learning D3D implies learning a complete gaming API.
quote:Original post by rohde
Hey nickvbs,

1. This topic pops up frequently here on gamedev. So search the forums for those threads. Presently, these threads are closed pretty fast though seeing that it''s a pseudo religious discussion.

2. You can find an article here on the site which compares OGL and DX. Read it, and make a descision.

3. Truth is, neither is better.

4. Stick with your choice. DO NOT switch API in the belief that it''ll make it easier for you.

5. Enjoy and make some great games.

The Article

(BTW, all the reponses in this thread where friendly and non-flamey, but I think we all know where its headed)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement