Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows book

This topic is 5653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im currently learning some Windows programming from "windows gameprogramming for dummies", it is good, but seems to be a little outdated. It teaches Windows API and directX 5 from shortly before Win98 was released. Because that was quite a long time ago, do I wondoer if it worth the time to actually read it? Would I maby buy a newer book or read a tutorial? Comments?

The DirectX 5 part of it is certainly outdated (DX has been through some major changes), however a lot of the stuff (mind you I haven''t read the book) on windows programming like messaging should still be good.

Hey,
The windows 32 programming should still be good to learn in that book..its always good as long as you stick to SDK and not MFC for game programming. If your learning DX get another book for that because theres been alot of changes and addons in the different versions since then. I am still learning d3d 7.0 because I have a book that covers it when I should be learning 8.1 instead.