I have a problem....

Started by
7 comments, last by wendieu 21 years, 9 months ago
Well friends I have a dilema yet again. I started programming my level maker lastnight and I finished it today. I am using it to make my latest RPG. Now here is my issue. Because it is an IsoMetric RPG I have basically three different kinds of fighting styles I can use. 1) A mortal Combat type one: -Description: The use walks around towns and things like that and the game warps into a battle screen when bad guys arrive. The user has to use a series of buttons to initiate moves. EG: The a button for Psychic wind and the B button for teleport.(All in a side view or demi side view mode) The only problem with this is that button pressing can get annoying (for the wimps who play my game) 2) Final Fantasy 7 type: Description: The user walks around town and forest,etc and when battle comes around the game warps into a battle mode. The user has to enter in the attacks before he or she(for you feminists to fight) and when it is the user''s turn to battle, the predetermined attacks arise. However this can be very very annoying.(All in a side view or demi side view mode) Zelda or Super Mario type 3) Description: The user walks around towns and when trouble arises the user just fights then and there. It is and isometric game so the user cannot appear like he is jumping way high in the air. Also I can''t render a cool backround image in the background. The graphics are very lush so that will attract people but bad fighting mode can kill it. So tell me what are your honest opinions and I need them quick (programming that stupid level maker got me off scheduel, but it is really neat)
Advertisement
Changing the view just to fight seems silly to me for an RPG. I breaks the rhythm of the game in my opinion. Just use the 3rd choice. Who cares if you can't see a character jumping? How often will that occur anyway? I could care less about the background while I'm fighting since I have other things on my mind.

Breakaway Games

[edited by - Machaira on June 25, 2002 1:48:26 PM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Do you have a design document about your RPG? Do you have a story written out?

I don''t think many here want to choose a battle system for you, because it''s really a matter of personal preference. Your best bet would be to read over your story, and decide which battle system ''suits'' it best.

I would probably choose the Zelda-like system you mentioned. But as I said above, this is my personal preference.
Well of course I have a story written out and I just wanted to know the opinions of people were. And it not silly changing the camera view for fighting. (Haven''t you ever played final fantasy or pokemon)
quote:Original post by wendieu
Well of course I have a story written out and I just wanted to know the opinions of people were. And it not silly changing the camera view for fighting. (Haven''t you ever played final fantasy or pokemon)

But if you don''t have to change camera angles, then don''t.

Take ChronoTrigger for example. It has Final Fantasy style battles, but they take place in the maps themselves.

If you have a nice isometric engine, then why not use it for everything?

Still, it''s a personal preference. I''m not sure how well Zelda-style fighting will work in an isometric game. You could rotate the controls like Q-Bert, but that would be annoying.

And please refrain from mentinoing Final Fantasy and that P-word in the same sentence. It makes me shudder to think that the two could be compared. :-P

--TheMuuj
--TheMuuj
Have you ever played the game "Landstalker?" It was out for the sega genesis awhile back.. not sure if it was out for any other systems.. but it had a good zelda-style fighting system and it was isometric... jumping puzzles were a pain though
Diablo 2 is isometric and plays like Zelda. That game is great so I don''t see why it wouldn''t work for you.
The same is true for Baldur''s Gate. Great RPG IMHO (If you like the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset). It''s about as 2D as you can get it. You could even go a bit further and use the FF turnbased approach directly on the topview isometric map (was possible in BG too but nobody used it unless the fight got really really big and complex).

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Diablo 2 is isometric and plays like Zelda. That game is great so I don''t see why it wouldn''t work for you.

I thought that Diablo 2 was a mouse-controlled game. How on Earth can it play like Zelda?

Zelda-style fighting involves 4 direction buttons and at least one attack button. A gamepad would be best suited for this kind of game, but keyboard would work fine.

I don''t remember being able to control any isometric game in this way. Like I said, it might be confusing, since pressing UP would probably move you UP and RIGHT.

Now I would say that a game like Secret of Mana plays like Zelda, but it''s not isometric either.

Just because it has real-time fighting doesn''t mean it "plays like Zelda." But please prove me wrong if I am wrong.

--TheMuuj
--TheMuuj

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement