Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] Java 3D! woot?

This topic is 5654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

omg...I been downloading a few Java3D examples and.....DAM they are VERY slow.... I am exploring whether to learn J3D or just do the low-level OpenGL API... Now I favor the idea of having a higher level approach to the programming of 3D, so I don''t have to learn the details. BUT if things are going to run THAT slow....there is no point in it I have no idea whether its a MS Windows problem that just makes these J3d programs Run in SLOW motion, and they are jerky Other programs demos that have been made entirely of OpenGL that I have run, aren''t slow at all. And both j3d and OpenGL demos are Very small simple demos......if a simple Demo in J3d runs that slow, That also indicates that it will be no use trying to make large games with it This is what Im getting from exploring.....maybe Im doing something wrong, or j3D is just slow....Need some input I have a: 900 Mhz 256MB Ram Nvidia Card So it aint the puter, The OpenGL demos run flawlessly, and look very nice

Java3D is a scenegraph api, you can''t compare it to opengl or direct3d. Very small demos will always run faster just using opengl or d3d. Java3D has builtin state management and frustum culling that the little opengl/d3d demos probably don''t have. In a small demo it slows things down but in a large virtual environment it speeds thing up. Grab jre1.4.1 beta1 and try the new concurrent garbage collector, it might totally smooth out the animation. In the sidescroller I made it almost totally eliminated any garbage collection pauses. My machine is smp but yours is a lot faster clockwise so might get the same results.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato