can i read audio files in opengl applications?

Started by
12 comments, last by vijaykiran 21 years, 9 months ago
quote:ZealousElixir
OpenAL''s documentation is nebulous as it never (or hasn''t yet?) caught on. I hear that Creative Labs'' implementation is useable though.

I actually found the OpenAL Specification and Reference more than enough to learn to do even the most complex tasks with OpenAL. Sure, it isn''t friendly, but it is complete. BTW: Creative Labs is more of a sponsor of the implementation that the force behind the implementation. The one and only implementation has always been an open source project (under the LGPL). Creative Labs does, however, package up binaries for an ''OpenAL SDK'' for Windows, and it does host the CVS on its servers.
quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
I hope it has caught on, coz UT2003 uses OpenAL for its audio system

A new source I can reference to recommend OpenAL to people .

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Null and Void
BTW: Creative Labs is more of a sponsor of the implementation that the force behind the implementation. The one and only implementation has always been an open source project (under the LGPL). Creative Labs does, however, package up binaries for an 'OpenAL SDK' for Windows, and it does host the CVS on its servers.

I've found that creative have quite taken to the idea of GPL/Open source more and more since they started to do the open source drivers for the SBLive! and the DXr decoder cards, which is a very good thing, and this sponcering and CVS hosting by them is a very good move, and is where I got my Win32 SDK from.. now, to find the time to read it when I feel awake, hehe
oh, and its handy to have the docs in PDF form as well, which is how they come with the Win32SDK for it

quote:
A new source I can reference to recommend OpenAL to people .

yep, I was plesantly surprise when I noticed it installing OpenAL when I ran that unoffical UT2K3 demo which motivated me to look into OpenAL a bit more
(since deleted as I need the Harddisk space before anyone asks for a copy or anything daft, belive me when I say the real demo will most certainly be worth the wait

[edited by - _the_phantom_ on June 27, 2002 1:04:26 AM]
JK2 also used OpenAL

(well I''m assuming it did - it had the .dll included with it)
thanks for all your suggestions guys. i am new to openAL and am learning it. but seems like openAL rocks....

vijay.
k. vijay kiran

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement