Developing on Linux

Started by
12 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 9 months ago
I''ve used Mandrake for a little while now, and I really like it, except for one thing: developing. I''m used to stuff like Visual C++ and just hitting "compile" and everything works ducky. I''m used to menus and list boxes and stuff to tell the IDE where my libraries and include files are and how to compile my stuff. But what''s this GCC stuff? Sure, GCC may be an awesome compiler, but I''d rather be programming, not creating a makefile or typing in crazy commands into the console. KDevelop isn''t any better. Reading the new HOWTO about getting SDL to work with it make me wonder what the point was. Is there any hope for me? Am I doomed to Windows programming forever? Is there an IDE out there that actually makes using it worthwhile? Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
i dunno. sounds like an experience thing to me. play with makefiles for a while they are a pain in the ass for the first week or so, but then they are the easiest thing in the universe to set up. code a new file -> add it to makefile -> done. in fact i had the opposite problem moving to an IDE b/c i was used to writing makefiles. i HATED IDEs for the first 3 weeks b/c they were "harder". now that i've played with them for a while they are easy. most times "harder" just means you are using it for the first time.

honestly i don't see what the problem is other than just not having done it enough.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on June 25, 2002 4:33:08 PM]
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
I''ve used Mandrake for a little while now, and I really like it, except for one thing: developing.

I''m used to stuff like Visual C++ and just hitting "compile" and everything works ducky. I''m used to menus and list boxes and stuff to tell the IDE where my libraries and include files are and how to compile my stuff.

But what''s this GCC stuff? Sure, GCC may be an awesome compiler, but I''d rather be programming, not creating a makefile or typing in crazy commands into the console.

KDevelop isn''t any better. Reading the new HOWTO about getting SDL to work with it make me wonder what the point was.

Is there any hope for me? Am I doomed to Windows programming forever? Is there an IDE out there that actually makes using it worthwhile? Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Actually, IDE''s in Linux all work pretty much the same. If you don''t like the way it works, you are indeed doomed. If you want to try an IDE that''s worked for me perfectly when trying to get SDL configured, get anjuta. Web Site. There aren''t any docs on how to set it up to work with SDL but if I could figure it out, you''ll be able too also.
Oh, once it''s set up, it takes charge of the autoconf, automake and autoheader for you so you won''t need to bother.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
I develop using Emacs and makefiles. Initially, I tried KDevelop, but disliked it.

Makefiles are cool, once you get used to them.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Sheesh, around here using pico would be hardcore...

and I use vi!
I write my programs in binary, and I don''t even use an editor. I access my ram via a custom board I made to directly manipulate each bit of storage. I dont even use a mouse, I just modify the input bits on my serial port to achieve the same effect. Monitor? no thank you. I access my video cards memory directly with another custom board, and I visualize in my head what the screen might look like based on the contents of each pixels storage.

Yes, I am hardcore.
That''s interesting Tylon...
quote:Original post by Tylon
I write my programs in binary, and I don''t even use an editor. I access my ram via a custom board I made to directly manipulate each bit of storage. I dont even use a mouse, I just modify the input bits on my serial port to achieve the same effect. Monitor? no thank you. I access my video cards memory directly with another custom board, and I visualize in my head what the screen might look like based on the contents of each pixels storage.

Yes, I am hardcore.

That''s not hardcore - That''s stupid.
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
yes just plain stupid ---> maybe a lie also......who would do that it would be utterly pointless......definatly not hardcore.....
yes just plain stupid ---> maybe a lie also......who would do that it would be utterly pointless......definatly not hardcore.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement