3D RTS vs 2D RTS?

Started by
11 comments, last by Darkan_Fireblade 21 years, 9 months ago
In EE, I got tired of looking at those ugly, low polygon characters. Half the problem is probably because I have a 16MB ATI Xpert 128 PCI (which I will hopefully replace).

I can see the use of particles and SFX, but I don''t exactly get why rotating the camera is so important. I like the camera the way it is ! And it gives developers more time to focus on the gameplay than the graphics.

I would rather have a game that looks like AOK than EE. Maybe someone should make a game in 3D but use sprites for the characters, and 3D for the SFX and maybe the terrain! Then you could have ultra cool terrain (that''s the only thing you''d have to render besides some SFX and particles so you could make it detailed).

Has anyone made a game like this? It sounds like a good idea, the best of both worlds. But I''m sure that games in the concept stage right now would look just as good in 3D as they would in 2D by the time they come out!
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by tuxx
I would rather have a game that looks like AOK than EE. Maybe someone should make a game in 3D but use sprites for the characters, and 3D for the SFX and maybe the terrain! Then you could have ultra cool terrain (that''s the only thing you''d have to render besides some SFX and particles so you could make it detailed).

Has anyone made a game like this? It sounds like a good idea, the best of both worlds. But I''m sure that games in the concept stage right now would look just as good in 3D as they would in 2D by the time they come out!

Yah. I''m making a rather amateurish stab at it myself. Check my sig for the link.

Possibility showed me a link to a company that''s doing one that looks pretty spiffy, but I''ve since reinstalled windows and lost my bookmarks.

I''m using a 3D mesh for the terrain and the water, and 2D sprites for everything else. The camera rotation will be locked to the traditional RTS game view, but you''ll be able to zoom in and out.

Unfortunately I haven''t touched the code in a long time since DS came out. I was waiting for that game for quite some time. Anyway, I should be resuming work on it shortly.

Care.

Florida, USA
RTS Engine in Development
http://www.knology.net/~heaven
Jesus is LORD!
Florida, USA
Current Project
Jesus is LORD!
Great project, only there''s one flaw: you should have become addicted to Neverwinter Nights, not Dungeon Siege !

Seriously, though, that terrain looks really nice. I''m thinking of getting up to speed with DirectDraw to make a 2D tile-based game.
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement