Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neural Networks Used For....?

This topic is 5647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I''m starting to understand how Neural Networks work. :>) It seems like they would be useful for analyzing large amounts of data or finding the best way to do something. However, could you use a Neural Network for pathfinding, enemy units knowing when to attack/defend/retreat, or formulating team strategies? Or would some other paradigm be more effective for this? -Thanks http://abyssgames.cjb.net

an ANN could be used for all kinds of decission-making as far as I''ve understood (which is about half way from knowing it though it consume vast amounts of cpu.
Therefore I don''t think it would be suitable...

if first you trained the ANN to its near-fullest potential, and then implemented it statically, with many optimizations, it could still be effective (cpu-usage wise). This of coarse depends on what kind of problem your trying to solve, obviously the NN could not evolve anymore, so learning is out the window ^^. However, for some problems (such as path finding) you could in fact train a neural net to do this using some clever input methods, but something like A* would be a far better (and faster) decision. .sen