Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ gone crazy

This topic is 5652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m going mad tring to make this program. I''m just learning c++, so it could just be that there''s something I don''t know. I''ve reduced the code down to what I listed below, but i still can''t see whats wrong with it: ----------------------------------------------- #include <iostream.h> void GetOctets(char* szIP, char& a, char& b, char& c, char& d); int main(void) { char a = 0; char b = 0; char c = 0; char d = 0; char szIP[] = "12.0.253.5"; cout << "made it"; cout << szIP; GetOctets(&szIP[0], a, b, c, d); cout << a << "." << b << "." << c << "." << d; return 0; } ----------------------------------------------- When I run this code, the consol window pops up but nothing is displayed. If comment out ''GetOctets'', the code runs fine. And it doesn''t work any time I try to make a call to my own funtions. My head hurts

Guest Anonymous Poster
I used to have the same kinda problem too when I was learning c++. Try doing:
"cout << a << "." << b << "." << c << "." << d << endl;", or
"cerr << a << "." << b << "." << c << "." << d << endl;"

EDIT: lol I found the problem. My loop in the GetOctets function wasn't exiting, duh

[edited by - Lash on June 25, 2002 11:30:18 PM]

Show us the code for GetOctets. This seems to be where your problem is. [edit] Never mind.

Also, just FYI, when you declare an array, the array name by itself is a pointer to the first element in the array. So when you call GetOctets, you can just pass szIP instead of &szIP[0] (which is perfectly legal, it's just unneccessary).

/*=========================================*/
/* Chem0sh */
/* Lead Software Engineer & Tech Support */
/* http://www.eFaces.biz */
/*=========================================*/

[edited by - Chem0sh on June 25, 2002 11:33:34 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just thought I''d point out some redundancy in your code.

GetOctets(&szIP[0], a, b, c, d);

is equivalent to

GetOctets(szIP, a, b, c, d);

since &a is equivalent to &*(a+i), which is equivalent to a+i. In this case i is 0, so the final result is a.

quote:
Original post by Lash
#include <iostream.h>

Whatever learning resource you are using, it is teaching you to use the wrong headers. The correct header in this case is <iostream> - i.e. without the ".h".