Keeping Focused

Started by
21 comments, last by hello2k1 21 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by hello2k1
Planning a "puzzle", and planning a mainstream game are 2 different things. If I don''t plan, the different sections will take twice as long (or sometimes not even get finished), and will not fit together.

Well then you''re doing something wrong , and hey ... don''t say ''puzzle'' like you think it''s some fricken minesweeper thing. If you only knew...

Visit the 2D game programmers'' hideout!
Advertisement
Haha. Make me class which handles dynamic terrain for a game (that looks good), and runs at 1000fps on a gf4.. Then you''ll be able to assess exactly how hard your "puzzle" thing is/was to make.

I remember a while ago, I was given an assignment which said I needed to build a checkers game. I pulled it off in 8 hours.. but planning would have made that 4. Anything and everything should be mapped out, just give it a whirl and you''ll see how much it really helps.
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
Planning does help, but when you''re working on a project that''s monumentaly huge and takes a year to complete, you''re gonna get "out of zone". Getting in that state also happens when not in big projects, usually in-between projects.

I think the main problem is that when you finish one task, you feel a sense of accomplishment. Then you gotta start a new hurdle. After so many hurdles, you start to get annoyed. Will this ever end? My longest out of zone period was 3 months. Didn''t touch a computer at all the whole time. Went camping, beaches, partied a bit too much until I ended up on welfare. That got me back in the zone.

Now I take a 2 week vacation at least twice a year no matter what. Everything is fine now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement