Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDL Graphics

This topic is 5648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have used SDL a couple times, and I know there are some commercial games that have used SDL, but usually they use SDL for everything else and OpenGL for the graphics counterpart. I was wondering if SDL graphics would have the power and speed to actually create a commercial 2d game. Note: I remember using SDL to render a tile map I created, it was only 1 layer and its only ran at 35 FPS, so if I added more layers, and objects to complete a game it would run at unacceptable speeds am I correct? Thanks for your time.

SDL should be good enough to create commercial 2D games. It uses DX5 acceleration on Windows systems if it is available.
I created tilemaps with three layers and some sprites and had nearly a hundred fps (in windowed mode). Speed depends a lot on rsolution and color depth (I usually use 512x384x16). You should try some optimisation for SDL like converting all your tiles to the same format as the display surface, use RLE and HW acceleration...