Compiled artwork

Started by
5 comments, last by drdarkon 21 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone. I was wondering how I would go about putting all my game''s art into the game''s .exe file. We are spending a lot of time on the art and we don''t want people to take it and use it in other stuff without permission. Is there a way once we are done coding and ready to release the game for people to see what they think if we can compile the art somehow into the .exe so that it is all just one file. That way people can''t just open a .bmp file and copy paste. I only want to compile it all after we are done with the game so that I can continue to edit the images. How would I go about doing this? Thanks - Jesse Barksdale - Say What? Studios
Thanks
Advertisement
You can put it in as a resource but that would A) make your exe huge and B) not protect your art. If you don''t want people to steal your art don''t distribute it - that''s the only way that will work 100%

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
That''s true. There''s no 100% way to protect your art, but you can discourage ripping by not using .bmp or any popular format that can easily be copied.

I think it''s not advised to compile it directly in the .exe although it can be done with "packer" tools.

What I would suggest is for you to make your own file format or slightly modify a format that already exist. Then pack your images in one or more files. That will discourage a bunch of people.
How would I go about making and then using my own custom image file format? Is it very complex to do or is it rather simple?

- Jesse Barksdale
- Say What? Studios
Thanks
Don''t worry about a custom image format, just pack all your art into an archive (zip, rar, ace) change the file extension and password protect it with the password hard coded into the source. That should discourage most people!!

-----------------------------
OpenMountains... an open source snowboarding game... One day...
-----------------------------OpenMountains... an open source snowboarding game... One day... :)
PRINT-SCREEN?

zilch_
But if someone wants to steal your art that bad then they will... Everyone will know they stole it however...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement