A couple of Linux questions (hdparm, gcc and sound)

Started by
3 comments, last by NuffSaid 21 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I''ve got 3 questions, and I thought I''d just make one post for them. 1) I''m trying to get my DVD drive to run in DMA mode. I know how to do that using hdparm, but the thing is, hdparm doesn''t store my settings. After I reboot, I''ve got to go /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc each and every time. Is there anyway to make my settings stay, even after a reboot? 2) Sound card woes. On my RedHat 7.3 system, I''ve got a SiS/Trident integrated sound chip. Sometimes, the soundcard works, sometimes it doesn''t. I thought it might be a problem with the configuration, and I run sndconfig. This is the weird part. I''ve got to run sndconfig a few times, with the same settings before the soundcard actually works. Even then, when I reboot, the sound may be there, may be gone. I don''t get it. 3) gcc doesn''t link with functions in math.h. One system of mine is running a default SuSE 8.0. gcc doesn''t want to compile any programs which use functions in math.h. It says they are undefined. Suggestions? Thanks for your time, guys.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Advertisement
I think I can only answer the last question.
I''ve had the same problem some time ago and in one of the gcc-tuts/mans on the web I''ve found you have to use the -lm option with gcc.
(-l for the use of a library and ''m'' for the ''math'', I presume)
Hope that it helps.

===========================
UNKNOWN caused an invalid page fault in module unknown at 0000:bff80eb6
: win98 with multiple sclerose
I''ve found the solution to the DMA problem. I just need to create a file harddiskhdc in /etc/sysconfig and add the line
USE_DMA=1 to it.

Now all I need to do is solve the sound problem.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Configuring the sound card can be a real pain sometimes. I found it easiest to just compile the sound as a module when building a kernel, then load the module with the sound card paramters (irq=, io=, dma=). Also the docs are pretty decent for sound cards, usually found in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound. In there you can find your particular sound card. Also you may have to get the configuration info by using windows device manager.

If that don''t work there are other sound alternatives, I''ve had good luck with Alsa.

Another thing I found odd about configuring the soundcard is that its already configured, but sound is low or muted by default. I have to run a mixer program like kmix and raise the sound, then test it using xmms to play sounds and adjust the volume higher. After that it works fine.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
I''ve given up with the Soundcard problem. Solved it by going back to SuSE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement