DX 8.1 SDK + WinXP = Crash

Started by
2 comments, last by qDot 21 years, 9 months ago
I''ve been trying to get the DX 8.1 SDK installed on this computer for the last 2 days with absolutly no luck. Specs are: P4 1.5Ghz 512Meg RAM WinXP Pro Build 2600 PNY GF3Ti200 Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Soundblaster Live! The first time I tried installing it, the machine would completely reboot any time a program that so much as touches DirectX ran. I tried reformatting, and installing just the nVidia drivers, the SDK (Debug version), and a game. The problem still happened when I ran the game. I figure it has something to do with the video drivers or the fact that I have 2 soundcards, but I''m not too sure. Anyone else ever run into this problem?
Advertisement
Ok, update on this... I''ve whittled it down to being the Santa Cruz drivers. Creative drivers install and work *fine*, so I tried removing the card and just using the Turtle Beach stuff. Installed and rebooted, tried to bring up the game, computer reboots. So, anyone else have a SC and have this issue?
I don''t exactly know since I don''t use XP but, I received a lot of complains after downloading DX 8.1 from users using WinXP. The point is that they download DX8.1 for Win98/Me/2000 and they don''t realize there is no DX8.1 for WinXP (because a *special* version for XP of DX8.1 is already included).
In other words, you can''t download DX8.1 if you''re using WinXP since it most likely will mess up everything.

About the SDK, I really *really* think it should work without problems on WinXP... But maybe what I just said is related someway.
well, I was wrong, it''s any WDM drivers, or something like that. Backed up using System Restore and tried just installing the Hauppauge WinTV drivers for my TV card, same reboot situation happens. I give up, it''s Win2k time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement