Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Symbol Based Skill System

This topic is 5650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my game NightRise, I have a pretty cool battle system. It is freaking fast paced real-time, like an FPS, yet retains Final Fantasy type elements. The main attacking is done with the left mouse button by moving the crosshair to where your opponent is and holding to button down to attack constantly. If the crosshair is red, you have an autolock. If not, you have to move the corsshair yourself. Most people would think that because it''s real-time there''s no time to cast spells. I have found a way around it but that''s not the point of this message (though if you''re interested you may ask). Some weapons allow you to click the right mouse button to perform a secondary fire, however by holding to mouse button and drawing a certain shape you can perform a special move (swords use less complicated symbols than guns so the moves can be performed in a chain). They have to be drawn quickly and pretty accurately or else the move will not be performed. I know this has been done before in older games for spells, but I like the idea of using it for performing more powerful moves. What do you think? Eternity is relentless

Guest Anonymous Poster
definetly sounds interesting, how were you thinking of performing the symbol recognition?

I''m still working on that. The symbol has to be drawn in a certain order a certain way. For example, there''s one that requires you to draw a circle with a line through it. You have to make the circle clockwise from the top and when you reach the top again draw the line down. This creates a spin slash jump in air stab down type move. It''s not going to be pixel by pixel because it can be any size. I think I''ll do like a tracking/speed thing maybe. I dunno, still throwing some ideas around.

Eternity is relentless

quote:
Original post by Magic Card
I''m still working on that. The symbol has to be drawn in a certain order a certain way. For example, there''s one that requires you to draw a circle with a line through it. You have to make the circle clockwise from the top and when you reach the top again draw the line down. This creates a spin slash jump in air stab down type move. It''s not going to be pixel by pixel because it can be any size. I think I''ll do like a tracking/speed thing maybe. I dunno, still throwing some ideas around.

It does sound interesting.

If you''re going to do it the way you described above, the only advice I can give as a non-programmer (and as someone that has played fighting games all his life) is that I think each change in motion should be treated separately. For instance: with the circle and line through it that you recommended, I''d first allow for the circle to be made and confirmed as the first part of the move, then leave a 1 to 1.5 second "window" open for the vertical line to be made as the second part of the move. You know... Instead of a circle with a line through it; it would be a circle, then a line.

If you made this possible on a gamepad (which would be a given on a console, but not PC), it would be as simple as doing a 360 on the d-pad (or analog stick) then quickly tapping UP then DOWN (or vice versa). That sounds kinda fun, actually. The last RPG (on consoles) I played with a similar input style was Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 in U.S.) - even though the "aiming" function you wish to incorporate wasn''t present.

-The Well-Suited Punk-

quote:
Original post by shurcool
the whole "draw-a-symbol-to-cast-a-spell-or-do-whatever" thing has been done, for example in Black & White. i liked it. so good luck with doing it.

I, on the other hand, disliked it... among other things, the recognition was too flaky. The recognition needs to be pretty good, and also the symbols need to be very different so you don''t automatically set off one you don''t want. For instance, on B&W, one of the symbols was a rounded spiral, while the other was a squared-off spiral going in the same direction. Far too easy to set off the wrong one, and instead of casting a miracle, end up summoning your creature''s leash.

The system has merit, yes; just has to be done better IMHO.

If you decide to implement this, make sure you don''t use curves in your symbols, straight lines make your life much more acceptable, and also make for better recognition -> less player frustration -> greater game playability

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

quote:

I, on the other hand, disliked it... among other things, the recognition was too flaky. The recognition needs to be pretty good, and also the symbols need to be very different so you don't automatically set off one you don't want. For instance, on B&W, one of the symbols was a rounded spiral, while the other was a squared-off spiral going in the same direction. Far too easy to set off the wrong one, and instead of casting a miracle, end up summoning your creature's leash.

The system has merit, yes; just has to be done better IMHO.

True, very true. I never got very far in Black and White because the CD was corrupt, but I have the guide book with the symbols in it, and I can tell you that the symbols in NightRise are in no way complicated or similar to each other. Some may be the overall shape, like a triangle or circle, but there is always another part to the shape and I'm having them be done in one quick stroke. This is real-time ya know. So let's say you wanted to perform the move sword wave, which creates a wave of water which comes out of the sword and can knock enemies out of battle. You'd create an upside down U, from left to right. If you wanted to perform the move Boomerang Blade, which has your character throw the sword and then it comes right back to you, you'd create a normal U from left to right. They're similar shapes but they're facing different directions. As for straight lines, most of the shapes have those. The move Side Slash just has you create a normal line from left to right. It's the simplest move and yet one of the most powerful if you can create a perfectly straight line.

Eternity is relentless

[edited by - Magic Card on June 29, 2002 12:21:51 PM]