Consipracy

Started by
5 comments, last by GiantPaul 21 years, 9 months ago
1. None of the fire and water examples work from the special effects in direct3d book. I played diablo 2 and many other games which have fires with no problems so it can''t be my computer. 2. I can''t get the game core to work from the role playing book. I''m talking about chapter 10. I copy all classes into a new and empty win32 application project. I derive a new class from CApplication. Hey I even get 0 errors and 0 warnings when I compile. But to get that far I had to fix some problems with Jim''s code because the compiler said "worng amount of parameters" for some of his matrix functions. But to fix them I had to generate browser information! And that process added some new classes to my core classes. So even thought I got rid of all compiler errors I got 55 linking errors! Why didn''t Jim include a working game core project with his book?? By the way, his chapter 20 game gives me about 255 errors when I try to compiler it. Did he do that on purpose so that people can''t just make a clone from his source code? I mean I can''t think of any other reason for not including some good working code on the cd. 3.The linking errors I get are "unresolved external symbol". The first one being: Direct3DCreate8 !! hehe So how do I get rid of the classes which were added to my game core classes when I looked into d3dx8mesh.h This is not supposed to happen! I mean what if I look inside some huge library and Visual C++ adds it''s 100 classes to my project! Geez!!
Advertisement
??? I gather you are talking about a book... ... ... which one ? what title ?

Read your post again ( or for the first time ) and try imagining yourself as someone who doesn''t which book you are talking about...

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

WHO DO THEYTHINK THEY'REFOOLING : YOU ?
The "unresolved external symbol"-error normally occurs if you do not include a library...
But I don''t know which one you do have to include since I''m not using D3D. But read the book once again more carefully, I''m sure there''s somewhere standing which one you do have to include.
If you''re using VC++: Press ALT + F7, choose Linker and enter the library name. (maybe d3dx8mesh.lib... Try out)

Good Luck

Those who do not love don''t live.
[My Lousy Page | Kings Of Chaos | Vampires | [email=lordlethis@hotmail.com]email.me[/email]]
I do believe that the problems you are having are because you have the DX8.1 SDK. Some of the D3DX functions take different parameters than in DX8.0 so a quick visit to Jims website should fix any issues. And dont forget to include the relevant libs in your project otherwise you will get unresolved externals all over the place.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
Link with d3d8.lib

And generating browse information doesn''t add new classes to your code. What do you mean? All it does is generate a browse-info file that you can use to find where a symbol is defined, etc.
None of the fire, water, or cloud examples in the special effects book worked for me either, but then I realized that the examples wrote onto a 16 bit texture 32 bit pixel colors(since my Voodoo3 only supports 16 bit), and caused a illegal operation box when I ran the demos off the CD. I just converted all the 32 bit values to 16 bits, and the examples work fine for me. Do you have a 16 bit card?
quote:
2. I can''t get the game core to work from the role playing book. I''m talking about chapter 10. I copy all classes into a new and empty win32 application project. I derive a new class from CApplication. Hey I even get 0 errors and 0 warnings when I compile. But to get that far I had to fix some problems with Jim''s code because the compiler said "worng amount of parameters" for some of his matrix functions. But to fix them I had to generate browser information! And that process added some new classes to my core classes. So even thought I got rid of all compiler errors I got 55 linking errors! Why didn''t Jim include a working game core project with his book?? By the way, his chapter 20 game gives me about 255 errors when I try to compiler it.

Make sure you''re adding /J to the compiler options on a new project, as specified in the book. Also, the matrix functions I use are all DirectX, so there might be something else wrong there. The majority of errors comes from DX 8.1 - namely the intersect functions. have you tried compiling a project from the cd (without adding to a new project, just copy the project to the harddrive)?

Jump into chapter 20''s project and go into the setting dialog - look for link options and copy the libaries line into your project''s.

quote:
Did he do that on purpose so that people can''t just make a clone from his source code? I mean I can''t think of any other reason for not including some good working code on the cd.

No - there''s no conspiracy there. Try copying the complete project from the disc and it should compile fine. If not, make sure your DX directories are set correctly in your msvc setup. If you''re still having problems, please post the errors and warnings - there should be no error/warnings whatsoever.

quote:
3.The linking errors I get are "unresolved external symbol".
The first one being: Direct3DCreate8 !! hehe
So how do I get rid of the classes which were added to my game core classes when I looked into d3dx8mesh.h
This is not supposed to happen! I mean what if I look inside some huge library and Visual C++ adds it''s 100 classes to my project! Geez!!

The errors are when you don''t include the proper libraries with your project. That''s really not a fault of the book - you just have to get into the habit of handling library resources yourself.

To get rid of a lot of the classes, you can add the game core as a 2nd project, then just close the project''s class list.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement