Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MMX and VC++6

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The regular MSVC++ compiler doesn''t generate MMX code, but with the processor pack you should be able to write inline MMX assembly (and view the MMX registers in debug mode). To get a compiler that generates MMX code from your C/C++ code you could try the Intel compiler, or VectorC (I think they can both be used as plugins to the MSVC IDE). I haven''t tried them myself (too expensive for me), so I can''t give you any specific information on how well they perform.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i have it installed, but i still have mmx support, in settings/code/code generation only have 386/486/pentium and pentium pro, and in the debugger dont view mmx registers.
I dont want to buy another compiler $_$

i have it installed, but i still have mmx support, in settings/code/code generation only have 386/486/pentium and pentium pro, and in the debugger dont view mmx registers.
I dont want to buy another compiler $_$

As I said, MSVC++ doesn''t generate MMX code. You have to write it yourself (in assembly), or use another compiler that can generate it. The processor pack makes MSVC++ capable of recognising and compiling inline assembly containing MMX instructions. It does not make the compiler capable of generating MMX code from your C/C++ code.

You should be able to see the MMX registers in the register view window while debugging, or perhaps I remember incorrectly. I suggest you read about the processor pack at MSDN, they should provide some information about what it does, and whether you have to do anything special to enable things like MMX register viewing.