Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Programming Windows...API" good for more than 98?

This topic is 5650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to Windows programming and am looking to learn to do it properly (not MFC). I just ordered Programming Windows, The Definitive Guide to the Win32 API. Now all my machines at home run Windows XP and Windows 2000 (My main station being XP). Has a lot changed in the API from 98->2000->XP? The book was released in the Win98 days and was highly regarded. I am going to need to learn the differences between the 98 and 2000 series but I am wondering if I can do this on my XP machine. I realize the operating systems are completely different between 98 and 2000/XP but what about the programming aspects of the Operating Systems? Can I just supplement this book with an online resource? (i.e. are there just a few added and deprecated features) or do I need to get another book? If either of the above then links and recommendations are very welcome.

quote:
Original post by petway56
Has a lot changed in the API from 98->2000->XP?

Not really. Just a few more functions like transparent windows etc. MSDN should tell you about what platforms a specific win32 function is available on, if you are worried.

most apps that run on 98 will run on xp. only things that have changed (besides how the actual OS works) are some advanced api features such as allowing translucent windows and some system monitering calls. most of which you wont be using in game development.

things like window creation, window messaging, and other standard windows stuff are the same. the book wont teach you anything you cant use, nor wil it be a waste of time to learn since the win32 api has not changed much since win95. ussually only some funtion enhancment has occered, but being that many ppl are actually still running win98 that wont make mush difference. things targeted at win98 should run in winME, win2k, winXP all without changing or recompliling a single line of code.

you should be able to use an online reference (like msdn.microsoft.com) to handle depreciated functions/features as well as learn about new stuff in XP/2K. just be forewarned, using XP/2K functionality in your app means it wont run on anything less then that OS. so using XP''s new api features will result in something that wont run in win98 properly, and would diminish yoru audience quite a bit. for game development, you wont need many of the new api functions or have to worry about anything more then what win98 (or even win95) does.