Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How diffrent is DX7 vs DX8

This topic is 5650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have Advanced 3-D Game Programming with DirectX 7.0. Should I read it or buy another book that covers DircetX 8. How much time and energy will I be wasting if I learn DX7 then learn 8 via the SDK documentation versus buying the new version of the book (or a different book than covers DX8) and just learning DX8. Also should I read Inside Direct X (my local library has several copies) proir to learning Direct 3d.

i would personally go with dx8
dx8 simplifies alot of the initilization process
and i just find it easier to work with

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T

quote:
Original post by Raskolnikov
What about Inside Direct X should I read that first? And how soon will Direct X 9 be out?

I have Inside DirectX, and that covers only DirectX 5, so I consider it quite outdated.

To learn directX I recommend reading some tutorials on the net and otherwise running through the docs included with the DirectX SDK.

The Zen of Direct 3D Game Programming is what I am reading on 2D and 3D DirectX 8, and I think it is quite good and enjoyable.

[edited by - DangerD on June 26, 2002 5:18:54 PM]