Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading playstation controller input on a PC

This topic is 5649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys - Has anyone written, or know of, code to read input from a Playstation controller on a PC? I know there are Playstation to PC converters (USB) - I don''t know if there are any others, and I don''t know how difficult it would be to write code to read input them... The language could be either C or Java... It needs to work under DOS or Windows or Linux (just one of those would be fine, I don''t need it to work with all three)... Any information or a point to a place to look would be greatly appreciated... My goal is to write applications that can read input from Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) controller pads I bought for the PSX... I''m not too familiar with playstation to pc controller converters, and also not too familiar with reading input from a joystick... Thanks in advance, -Alex

You can use linux. It has built in the kernel support for PSX gamepads. And you can also look at the drivers'' source and make a windows driver, if you want.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English...

quote:
Original post by roka-tarat
You can use linux. It has built in the kernel support for PSX gamepads. And you can also look at the drivers'' source and make a windows driver, if you want.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English...

unrelated but... roka-tarat: Your bad English is better than a lot of people who ''think'' they speak perfect English =). I thought it sounded fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Vogel
~~~~~~~~~~~

I have built my own playstation controllers and emulators before, but I have never even seen a Dance Dance Revolution Controller. My Guess is that the protocol is similar with possibly a different controller type packet. I found several sites online (google) that list the PSX controller protocol for all the standard sony controllers but none of them listed the Dance Dance Revolution Controller. So, if you really want to know, I would buy a cheap logic analyzer card for your PC (you will need one that can sample up to 500 kHz but I would shoot for 1 MHz), plug in the controller and see what it does. The files I have concerning the controller protocol are too big to post but if you send me an email I will be happy to send em to ya. (Or perhaps I will go ahead and buy one and reverse engineer it, my wife really wants that game anyway).

mouthfullabullets@hotmail.com

There used to be an extremely cheap (< $5) PSX to parallel converter that came with windows drivers that made it appear just like a regular joystick. It worked with all PSX pads and even force feedback on dual shocks. It used to be on ziplabel.com but appearently they no longer have it.

The majority of PS2 to PC joystick converters that I have seen map directly into DirectInput and are accessible by that means.

The main problem with most of them is that they don''t actually support all types of PS2 pad, or not all the functions of it (like 3 instead of al four axis).

The only way to find out is to plug the DDR pad in an see how many buttons DirectInput enumerates.

a ddr pad is just a psx controller without a few buttons (depending on the pad). you can use the pad with any psx game. some pads actually state this as a feature, heh.

basically you have the d pad (up, down, left, right) or the buttons (circle, cross, triangle, square) which can be used as input. on teh normal control pad, they are both active because its difficult to play the game using only the buttons or dpad. the ddr pad does not have this problem.

psx pads are used like any dinput device on windows, assuming you installed the usb drivers. think of the ddr pad as any other controller, and treat it as such. then you will have no problem using it with your game.