Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Particle System tutorials

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for a good tutorial on making particle systems. Ive read what i could find about it here on gamedev.net and on nehe.gamedev. Some of these tutorials where okay, but i would like to read some more. Im going on a holiday to London(where i can buy alot of computer books cheap) and im planning to pick up Special Effects Programming using DirectX(im currently considering moving from DX to OpenGL, but it will probably still be an interesting read), buts that a month away, and i cant wait to play with particles systems that long

Buy special effects and real time rendering tricks

at www.gamasutra.com there is a tutorial about particle systems...

ogre.sourceforge.net has particle systems implemented

What the hells!

Grugnorr:
I already read the Gamasutra particle system article(Building an advanced particle system) it was good, but it sort of assumed that had already tried creating a particle system before...
Ill try and have a look at ogre.sourceforge, though

Moe:
That sounds very interesting, i wouldnt mind reading an early draft/half-finished version of it....

I think i already read that one too, at some other site.
Btw, i also found a tutorial at:
http://www.martinb.com/threed/animation/effects/particle.htm

Its very short, but it has a quick summary of the parts needed for a particle system(nothing i hadnt figured out by myself though, still its nice to see im on the right track)...

quote:
Original post by Ziphnor
Moe:
That sounds very interesting, i wouldnt mind reading an early draft/half-finished version of it....

Take a look at my last post on this thread.

Moe''s site

quote:

Take a look at my last post on this thread.

Ill have to say that that is a pretty good tutorial, especially compared to the other ones out there.
Its good that you take time to explain the particle variables, instead of just pasting a lot of code.
And anyway, all the rest of the tutorials kind of forgot to mention how to deal with the emitter.
I hope you finish it soon so i can read the rest

I''m glad you like it! As for finishing it... well... I would like to get my 4E3 entry in first, then I will probably have to work, but if I can force myself to finish it, I will.

Moe''s site