Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Converting C++ code to Delphi

This topic is 5563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was thinking of buying Jim Adams book "Creating role playing games with directX" or something like that =D It looks very interesting, and got very good reviews from everyone on amazon.com My main concern is that the code is in c++. Im a delphi programmer, and I was wondering how hard it would be for me to understand the directX code if I didnt know much c++. But the directX code for c++ and delphi is the same of course, so I was just wondering how hard it would be for me to get the concepts of directX out of the book. Thanks. Bobby

I dont think the conversion will be very hard cuz you only need to convert C/C++ specific code. DirectX API will stay the same!

and also Object Pascal and C++ have lots of similarities.

Alaa,

Well, all documentacion of directX is in C++. i used to program in delphi so i recomend to find jedi project, there are the headers, helps and doc''s, but it''s hard. it''s the same (like c) and not , (prette smart he , get smart) becouse delphi prgramers don''t usually use things like handles or control the flow of the program without a timer whitch it gave you slow rates, if you can fix all i''ve mentioned, you won''t have problems, but i prefered to learn C++, it was easy, if you are going to do games in full screen you won''t need win controls, so it''s up to you to decide to change to de dark side or not. if all wath i said it''s confuse, sorry in advance for mi por inglish.

I used to use Turbo Pascal and converting to C/C++ is very easy. I would always advise trying it (i never went back to pascal - many of my friends did) just so you know its pros and cons. It is **probably** easier to use DX with C++ as that is supported "out of the box".

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!