Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adjustible difficulty for All.

This topic is 5653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(Arcade games for those without great reflexes) Surely, there should be more games with modifiable difficulty options? So that people would be able to adjust the game, til they find a setting that allows them to play it. Once they have gently eased into the game at a difficulty level that does not overwhelm them, they can then IF THEY WISH increase the level of challenge of the game (if they find that the challenge is what they enjoy). Consider a game such as Arkanoid, it would be possible to alter many aspects of the game in order to increase or decrease the difficulty level of the game. For instance the speed of the ball, the length of the bat, the type of blocks, the (type/number/frequency) of power-ups that are released when the blocks are destroyed. Of course if the people have to manually alter all these variables by hand, then this would defeat the point, and drive away those without the patience to do so. So maybe there could be various levels of difficulty offered, or the game could auto- adjust on the easiest settings.

I''d like to see games that could auto-adjust to the skill of the person playing. Taking RPG''s as an example, I feel that every battle should be challenging, but not impossible. With many of the final fantasy style games, while the bosses certainly provide a good challenge, the vast majority of the "filler" fights are so easy as to be tedious.

My ideal situation is to have the "filler" fights be the computer''s way of gauging the players abilities, and by the time the player gets to a boss, the computer knows enough about the players skill and style to provide a very enteraining battle, with the player ultimatly be victorious (but just barely).

Korvan

max payne has that. you don''t even notice, but the game is "passable" for all. i once tried, on purpose, to get killed a lot in the beggining, and acted like a big n00b or a 5 year old, and after 5 mins or so, i tried my best. killing all the ppl was a peice of cake, they became so stupid it was funny. but after played so well for 5 mins, it got challenging again. good job to remedy/god games for that!

---
shurcool
my project