• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gpalin

Character creation

This topic is 5983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m using Visual Basic to create a simple text-based RPG. I''m still working on the character creation form, want to perfect it before moving on to the main game form. Anyway, I''ve got some ideas for character creation already, such as name, sex(male,female), race(human,elf,orc,dwarf), and class(knight,barbarian,robber,archer). Any other ideas for inside or outside these categories? Also, I''ve played some games before, where on the character creation form, you begin with initial generated statistics (you can click on a button to generate new stats), and the available classes or character types change according to what the current statistics are. For example, a Knight should have at least 10 defense. Is there a sort of listing or class to add these extra features? And it could even have something to do with the race chosen as well i.e. Dwarves are naturally slow. The statistics I''ve included already are Attack, Defense, and Speed. Any suggestions for more statistics to use? I appreciate any help, this is my first text-based RPG with character generation. Grant Palin

Advertisement
Hey, don''t forget about magic. You need magic in such a game. Honestly, the best way to learn how to make an RPG is by using VC++ Console application programming. It''s more suited for the structure of the character.

Actually, I just thought of that. I''ve now added Power and Intelligence to the skill list. What do you mean by console application programming? As for structure of the character, I''ve already set up a type statement for the character, as follows:

Public Type Character
Name As String
Sex As String
Race As String
Class As String
Condition As String ''Good, okay, or critical
Attack As Long
Defense As Long
Speed As Long
Power As Long ''Controls the effectiveness of spells
Intelligence As Long ''Controls the number of spell points
MaxHP As Long ''Maximum Hit points
CurHP As Long ''Current HP
MaxSP As Long ''Maximum Spell points
CurSP As Long ''Current SP
Level As Long ''Current level
Experience As Long ''Current experience
ExpToNextLvl As Long ''Experience to next level
End Type

And then I create an instance of this structure.
Public Hero As Character

Is this what you mean by a character structure?

Grant Palin

Plan out your whole game as a paper and pencil game first. Thats a big think for me and my strongest suggestion. Making the paper and pencil version of your game like Dungeons and Dragons style helps alot to decide how you will balance the mechanics in your game.

~Vendayan

I''m working on that too, actually. This all just started out as me playing around with controls, and I thought, "Why now make a simple text-based RPG, along with a character creation form?" And there I was. Anyway, along that line, I decided I should get all my ideas down in a text file, so as to keep track of everything.
Right now, I''m still on the character creation form, brainstorming. I''m trying to think of other classes, skills, races, and benefits for each. I think I''ll add an option for choosing a character portrait as well. I''m still trying to figure out the effects of specific races and classes on the character. I''m thinking maybe I''ll generate the stats first, then show which classes are available with those statistics, and then choose race and sex. If the user doesn''t like the classes available or stats generated, they can click a button to generate new stats, and change the class availability. Which means, I''m gonna have to do some planning for each class I''ve come up with so far, in terms of necessary statistics.
Anyway, suggestions are welcome!

Grant Palin

Okay, commenting on your character creation system... it sounds really frustrating! If I''m understanding correctly, I randomly roll some stats and if, say, the intelligence is high I can be a mage. But what if I want to be a knight? Do I have to keep rolling until I meet all the requirements? I''d choose the class first, which would have a minimum in the important areas, and then add a few more random points in.

Personally, I don''t like randomly rolling stats at all (if you''re allowed to reroll them), because you''ll eventually get what you''re looking for anyway, and its just tedious. EQ has a better system, IMO, and I''m sure other games too. Basically, you select a race, which then limits what classes you can pick. Once you have your class selected, you are allowed to spend a certain number of points to improve your stats. Note that in this system, there are minimum values that are "appropriate" for that class, and player just add what they want, where they want it.

As far as suggestions, more classes can''t hurt Depending on how you implement things, different classes shouldn''t be too difficult to add. I won''t write all the classes that I could think of here, but look at games like Final Fantasy Tactics; they have a TON of classes that you could use, or just get inspiration from. Tactics Ogre is another good game to look at (and of course, D&D )

Stats... well, I think attack and defense are poor choices, because they should vary on other stats. Think about it this way... (Traditionally), can a wizard pick up a claymore and swing it like a wizard? With only a stat like ATT, there is no way to take this into account (I''m kind of speculating here though) I think strength and agility / endurance would be better choices for "attack" and "defense" respectively. Other stats that might be good to use are widsom and/or intelligence (some games use them to differientiate between different classes of magic; also, magic point growrth), vitality (usually used to determine amount of HP), and maybe luck (for whatever reason).

Finally, for race bonuses... there are a lot of options (just going to post how I view various races:

Humans: Typically the most well rounded race; few advantages, disadvantages. Some games give the some sort of merchant bonus.

Elf: Faster, better magic users, can take less damage; more in tune with nature than other races

Orc: Strong attack, weak defense, can take a lot of damage, very strong

Dwarves: Cave dwelling, strong, good with technology, small

And of course you have more options here too... races like halflings, undead (not really a race... but yea), faeries, drow (dark elves), some kind of cat people, list goes on and on.

Hopefully this looooong post will spark some new ideas

------------------
Warcraft III mod:
Project ROR!
http://projectror.warcraftiii.net
------------------

quote:
Original post by Peon
Humans: Typically the most well rounded race; few advantages, disadvantages. Some games give the some sort of merchant bonus.

Personally, I''d just take the humans completely out of the picture. Average = boooring.

I wouldn''t take the human race totally out of the picture, but it''s definately boring to always see them used as the "all around" race.

A suggestion: go out on a limb, give them relatively moderate physical attributes (compared to those of orcs/dwarves), but allow them to use more complicated weaponry or technology then the other races. Let the humans have a wider range of offensive arsenal.

Well, the rolling for stats first was just an idea I was kicking around...I got it from a game I had played a looooong time ago, which had a similar character creation system. Might and Magic 2, I think.

Anyway, Peon, that suggestion of yours is an idea, I might do that. The other option I have is to choose a class first, which gives you minimum stats, and then choose a race which affects stats again, based on the abilities of that race, and then you can play. Selecting a race, then limiting class choices, would be a bit much for me, since I would have to come up with several more classes, and develop their properties as well. I''ll just work on those I have already, for now, adding special abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Actually, I could combine the two...Choose a class first, giving you minimum statistics, choose a race, addign to your stats in different ways for each race, and then use some extra "points" to enchance any stats you like. How''s that sound?

Could you explain that bit about statistics a bit more? That brief explanation left me kind of confused...Elaborate please!

I''ll see about developing some extra races also. That shouldn''t be as hard as creating new classes. I''ve already got some specifics about the races I have already, some of which you mentioned.

Could you suggest some more classes to me? May be about 6 or so, and I could choose from those (with recommendations of course!).

Grant Palin

Okay, I''ll just comment on the things individually

[quote[Actually, I could combine the two...Choose a class first, giving you minimum statistics, choose a race, addign to your stats in different ways for each race, and then use some extra "points" to enchance any stats you like. How''s that sound?

Yeah, that sounds a lot better The only problem with this is that you might end up with say, an Orc cleric or something, but if you don''t mind that this is a great way to do it IMO.

Statistics:

Okay, well I''m not sure if you were referring to a certain part, but here goes:

A stat such as "attack" is not a good choice, because "attack" is better defined as your strength, speed, and skill with a weapon (among other things). For instance, what is my attack in real life, and how does it compare to anyone else? You can''t really measure that. On the other hand, if you use a stat like strength like I suggested, its (relatively) easy to determine if someone is stronger than someone else.

Some of the other stats I suggested:

Strength: This would be a measure of physical strength of a character. High strength would allow character to use a greater variety of weapons, and to do more damage in melee combat.

Agility: This can be used to determine attack or defense. Agile character will be fast in combat, and able to dodge blows as well.

Intelligence / wisdom: Again, this is a typical measure of magical skill. I think in FF2 (Well, FF4, but still) they used wisdom for white magic, and intelligence for black magic. However, probably just including a stat like intelligence is sufficient in most cases.

Endurance: This measures how resistant a character is to the effects of fatigue and damage (ie: can they run far? can they take a lot of damage before dying?) This is somewhat related to strength.

So once you have your stats selected, THEN you can determine attck. For example, maybe you could have a formula like this (I made this up right now, so it might not make much sense ):

if (hitSuccessful(agility, targetAgility)) //randomly decided if character hits; higher agility = better chance of hitting
{
damage = (strength*raceBonus)+weaponModifier
//weaponModifier is simply the extra damage that a given weapon allows the character to inflict
}

Defense can be calculuated in a similar way.

quote:

Could you suggest some more classes to me? May be about 6 or so, and I could choose from those (with recommendations of course!).

Sure, here goes

- Some kind of mage! Looking at your list, this is the class you need the most IMO. It would involve implementing magic which I''m not sure you wanted to do, but it would make the game a lot more interesting IMO. Also, if you implement magic, you can use the same idea to give the rest of your classes skills (ie: Barbarian can have bash for 0 mana or something) I''m a sucker for specialization, so even several types of "mages" wouldn''t hurt (priests heal, mage attacks with magic, etc...)

- Lancer / Dragoon / Valkyrie: This unit it typically quick, looks majestic, and carries a long spear. In the Final Fantasy series, they usually can jump too, though I''ve never really understood why

- Priest / Cleric: I touched on this when I wrote about mages, but priests are a cool class to have as well. They are typically frail, though strong healers. Actually, this might not be a good class in your game if you''re going solo; priests are usually more of a support class, and not meant to fight alone. Still might be an option, though.

- Summoner: Summons creatures of course Not much else to say about it. It might be somewhat hard to implement; I tried to put one in a text rpg I as going to write (but never really took shape, lol) but the fact that it can summon things means you need to have some code somewhere that will allow you to control two characters. It''s a fun class to have though.

- Poison unit: I don''t really know how to describe it, but I''ve always thought it would be cool if a game had a character that revolved around using poisons to weaken enemy characters, and then going for the kill. Perhaps you could implement this through an Assassin or Thief type class.

Alright, that''s pretty good for now I guess. Hope it helps!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!