• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheVirus

Half life engine question...

This topic is 6014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok so ive been lookin at some mods for this old ass engine, just to see if they have improved their look. and it seems that all the models look like crap, and in the wireframe mode they have horribly low poly counts. why dont/cant ppl who make mods make higher poly counts? does the engine max out at a certain value? how does that engine work with 3d models? and why dont current engines have the option to expand poly counts, if thats possible, im not too sure how game engines work, perhaps someone could clerify this for me Thanks.

Advertisement
You said it yourself, its old ass

Its probably not optimized for modern graphics cards with 64+ MB of ram, when HL was made 64 MB was good enough for the system!

Modern games look soo good because of the 3D hardware and CPU speed, an old game can''t magically look good if it was ment for an old card even though the CPU is 2x fastre

Half-Life == advanced Quake. It''s old. It''s outdated. It''s crap.

And yet, strangely enough, thousands of geeks are still obsessing over the pathetic little mod Counter-Strike, desperately trying to keep it alive.

But anyway, getting back to your original question, the models have low polys for a reason.

Just out of interest, munkie... what is that reason? God created them so...??

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems you don't realise that a game should be measured by its gameplay (in this aspect, I think the authors of CS have done really well) as well as its graphics. You may base your game purchases on eye-candy, but I for one tend to look a little deeper than that. BTW, I would hardly describe CS as a 'pathetic little mod' that is struggling to stay alive... it has been developed with the help of Valve and distributed commercially.

In answer to the original topic, I would have to agree with Cybertron... being a highly modified version of the original Quake engine, it was designed with TNT2 level hardware in mind... I actually think it has stood the test of time quite well. The engine is based on techniques that were more relevant before the current generation of graphics hardware, thus it cannot take advantage of all the newer features of said hardware.
I'm sure the engine can handle more polys... it just may not be in the meat of its efficiency curve on current systems. Try making some higher poly maps and/or models yourself and see how they well they run.

Something else to consider is that there may well be hard limits in the engine code for the number of polys a model can have (I don't know for sure, as I haven't looked at the source)... its a classic case of "640K syndrome"... "we'll never have that many polys..."

[edited by - Bad Monkey on June 26, 2002 10:18:25 PM]

quote:
Original post by munkie
Half-Life == advanced Quake. It''s old. It''s outdated. It''s crap.

And yet, strangely enough, thousands of geeks are still obsessing over the pathetic little mod Counter-Strike, desperately trying to keep it alive.

But anyway, getting back to your original question, the models have low polys for a reason.

How''s about trying to answer the question??? Might want to elaborate on your answer... Don''t you think.... If you can''t answer a question, don''t post...

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

munkie did u say TRYING TO STAY ALIVE ?? HAHAHAHHA dont make me laught... tell me ONE game that is played over the net more than cs...

[edited by - Metal Typhoon on June 26, 2002 11:15:35 PM]

quote:
Original post by Bad Monkey
Just out of interest, munkie... what is that reason? God created them so...??

The reason was in the first sentence of my post. Trouble remembering things?

quote:
Original post by Metal Typhoon munkie did u say TRYING TO STAY ALIVE ?? HAHAHAHHA dont make me laught... tell me ONE game that is played over the net more than cs...

Notice how I said "thousands of geeks". It''s obvious I realize the game is overly popular. Perhaps because it''s so damned easy to win, everyone feels like a God in that game.

quote:
Original post by Metal Typhoon How''s about trying to answer the question??? Might want to elaborate on your answer... Don''t you think.... If you can''t answer a question, don''t post...

Good one, hypocrite. Unfortunately, I don''t see any relevant answers to the poster''s question in your post.

Why does Counter-Strike suck? Well, it''s blatantly easy to see the game simply looks horrible. You can get an equal gaming experience with more modernized graphics with Urban Terror 3.

The Counter-Strike community is a joke. The players these days all seem to be pre-pubescent little boys who do nothing but spam, text flood, camp, whine, moan, argue, and flame each other during games.

God forbid anyone in that game make a decent shot, less you be called a cheater. I kill three guys consecutively because I have nice hand-eye coordination, I get booted off for "cheating". It is pathetic. The community is so insecure and paranoid that they jump the gun on any good players, yet will flame any newbs.

By the way, Metal, I notice that most of your posts consist of excessively capitalized words, a lot of "yelling", and a suspiciously high level of excitement.. Well, maybe I should feel priviledged to get such overly exerted responses simply because I don''t like a mere mod to a video game.

thats basically what i figured, i was a huge CS fan for a few years, until the cheating community took over, now im into SOF2 =D ... anyway, thanks for answering... CS needs to die =\

I never thought I''d say this, but I agree with Munkie on this one. I miss the good old days of DWANGO. Playing Doom online kicked ass. It was such a thrill getting 4 people in the same game. And you didn''t deal with a bunch of 12 year olds showing how mature they are by using the F word in every sentence. Unfortunately, long distance costs put an end to that (at least for me ).

But to answer the original question, Half Life actually did have an expansion that allowed higher poly models. I believe it was introduced in Blue Shift and that CS uses it. Granted, the models still aren''t that high in polys, but they are higher than the original models of Half Life. I believe that''s the way it is, but I could be wrong.

quote:
Original post by munkie

Good one, hypocrite. Unfortunately, I don't see any relevant answers to the poster's question in your post.

first if there is a POST button on this forum and my omouse pint can go there consecutively my hand can click ... therefore i can post anywhere

quote:

Why does Counter-Strike suck? Well, it's blatantly easy to see the game simply looks horrible. You can get an equal gaming experience with more modernized graphics with Urban Terror 3.

if that's so i wonder why hundreds and thousands of people keep playing..

quote:

The Counter-Strike community is a joke. The players these days all seem to be pre-pubescent little boys who do nothing but spam, text flood, camp, whine, moan, argue, and flame each other during games.

this is what's called "PLAYING RANDOMLY"

quote:

God forbid anyone in that game make a decent shot, less you be called a cheater. I kill three guys consecutively because I have nice hand-eye coordination, I get booted off for "cheating". It is pathetic. The community is so insecure and paranoid that they jump the gun on any good players, yet will flame any newbs.

your r such a .. that can't even ook for a decent serve where peole respect each other and know they don't cheat.. lan games would be # 1 for that...

quote:

By the way, Metal, I notice that most of your posts consist of excessively capitalized words, a lot of "yelling", and a suspiciously high level of excitement.. Well, maybe I should feel priviledged to get such overly exerted responses simply because I don't like a mere mod to a video game.

again there is a CAPS LOCK in a keyboard did u know that ? u can also use shift... yelling ?? since this is a wide open society caps lock don't MEAN YELLING TO ME OK ? thx..

@ virus... is there a free download or whatever of this engine ? or u need to buy or something ? i'm interested in it. like it was said before the engine was built when 64mb would suit more than the needs of it...

[edited by - Metal Typhoon on June 27, 2002 1:09:18 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!