• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using DirectX 6 from DirectX 8?

This topic is 5684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to start using DirectX 8.1 sdk, but still use the stuff that came with 6 for a certain game i''ve been writing. I remember seeing a way to tell the api that you want to use an older version, but I can''t seem to find it here. If any one knows what i''m talking about, I would appreciate the help. Thanks BC

Advertisement
You can use different versions of different components in one application (ie D3D 8 and DI 6). You can''t mix different versions of one component in one application (ie DI 8 and DI 6). In the end, why not use DX8 for everything?

What you want to do is use DX6 interfaces rather than DX8 interfaces. The problem is, in DX6 the interface numbers were still screwy. So, if you were using DDraw for example, you would create instances of LPDIRECTDRAW4, DDSURFACEDESC2, LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE4, etc... Don''t recall the 3D interface numbers, but if you have or can get ahold of the DX6 or 6.1 docs, that will help you.

DX is backwards compatible, so you can always create instances of older version components (until MS declares older versions obsolete and removes them from the SDK, anyway).

you cant use directx8 in directx6.
DUH!

<marquee width=100% direction=right><table nostyle="filter:glow(color=red,strength=3)"><table nostyle="filter:shadow(color=blue,direction=left)">Can someone be nice and help me on my way to be the next Hideo Kojima?</table></table></marquee>

you cant use directx8 in directx6.
DUH!

<<<<<marquee width="100%"><table nononostyle="filter:glow(color=red,strength=3)"><table nononostyle="filter:shadow(color=blue,direction=left)">Can someone be nice and help me on my way to be the next Hideo Kojima?</table></table></marquee>>>>>>>

[edited by - pipo declown on June 27, 2002 12:10:03 PM]

[edited by - pipo declown on June 27, 2002 12:11:15 PM]

You can #define DIRECT3D_VERSION before including the d3d headers to specify which version you want to use. IIRC for version 6 you should define it as follows:

#define DIRECT3D_VERSION 0x0600

There are similar defines for DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectPlay, etc...

(Pipo DeClown, you can delete your posts by clicking the "edit"-link and selecting the delete checkbox. And he said that he want's to use DirectX 6 interfaces under DirectX 8, which is perfectly possible.)

[edited by - Dactylos on June 27, 2002 12:34:44 PM]

• Advertisement