• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misterX

extend a class in VB ?

This topic is 5839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
As far as I know, up until and including VB6 you can''t derive classes from classes; at least not in the same way you can do it in C++. They were talking about it for VB7 (is it out yet? i don''t know - long time since i''ve used it in any great depth)

Not so sure he talks of inheritance. VB has "Extenders" for visual components. Thats an externa component that "seems to add " properties to another component, at least in the property editor.

Under .NET Extenders are fully documented. Under VB6 I think to remember there was some docu, but I am not sure whether it was for writing them IN VB - never did too much VB.

Just for the point IF he is really talking about extending.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

thanks
and, yes, i was talking about inheritance (what could it be else?)
i send this post to confirm what i suspected.

Use the ''implements'' keyword and either support all the member functions of the base class, no new or overloaded functions. Or create an instance of the base class within the sub class, and call the base class functions from within the sub class functions of the same name.

Nasty, Yes. Its documented in VB6 help (badly).

,Jay

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!