• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

black_mage_s

Problem with map loading

This topic is 5832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the game were working on, we ran into a perplexing problem. We have a system that loads the map in chunks, only showing the area that you need to see as opposed to loading the whole huge assed 2 worlds. Now, we basically just used a heavily modified system that we were going to use to load fonts out of bitmap files for text, but thats fine. The problem is that the chunks we load, load VERY slowly, causing lots of gaeplay issues. What do we do. I cant list any specifics, im not the 3d guy

Advertisement
Have you profiled your code yet?

Other than that idea, you haven''t given us enough information to work with.

im sorry that i cant be more specific about this, but im not the 3d guy, i only handle things like save game handeling, text display, and other such stuff

Err... if you don''t actually know what the problem is, how can you get help with it? I suggest you point the 3d guy to this site.

well, it doesnt seem to be the 3d part thats the problem, it seems its only this one thing.

We''ve tried it on milkshape and md2 files, and it seems there is no problem with them, but it seems more directly related to our file type only.

You havn''t given out much information about your filetype and loading methods. md2''s as I understand them are vertice lists thus very quick to load (text). While you are using a bitmap loader which leads me to believe you are loading graphics. Graphics take up much more space than model vertice info and will be slower to load regardless. The only things you can do to improve this are load graphics in advance of when they are needed like a portal engine, and compress your data on disk, although this means decompression in memory and might work out slower. The other thing to look at is possible bugs in your loading code, but as its not posted.......

(the portal engine bit or something similar is your best option, IMO essential for smooth gameplay)

,Jay

well, its based loosley on our bitmap loader, which has never been used, but we changed mostly everything so it loads from our 3d map file

If you want anything more specific, your going to have to post some code, probably the loading code and the file specs. Maybe your jumping around the file when loading looking for chunks that are not in the correct order ? Its impossible to tell without the code.

,Jay

alright, found the problem.

The reason it was doing this had very little to do with the actual file loader. What happened was, our 3d guy tried to make a system for animated textures, by loading 3 grass textures over and over again. Now, that was a bad enough idea. The worse part was, instead of loading from memory, he loaded from the D drive.

It would only load after a character moved, so thats why the frame rate kept dropping. So, after 2 hours of removing uselss code, and then changing the bad code, problem solved. Now the game runs at a steady 50-55 fps

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!