• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zilch_

Dev-C++, profiler

This topic is 5989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone got any ideas of where to find a profiler that works with Dev-C++? I would appreciate this alot. What are you using for profiling? The one built into VC6? zilch_

Advertisement
GCC has a builtin profiler (in case you didn''t know: GCC (specifically the MinGW port) is the compiler Dev-C++ uses).

Thanks you people )
However i have search the menu with no luck. I guess it is one of the commandline programs in dev-c++/bin

i''ll continue my search!

THANKS!

zilch_

I found gprof,
i compiled with the -g -pg switches and still it complains about the lack of symbols...anyone?

zilch_

Well i got gprof to run

gprof filename.exe > output.txt

however it does not start it, it only prints alot of text... my app has to run at least 1 minutet for a good profile... any ideas?

i can''t find info about how long it should run in the manual-

zilch_

Well, it''s been quite a while since I profiled with GCC, so some of what I say may be incorrect.

As far as I remember the way to profile was to compile the program with -pg switch, and then just run it. The program should produce some output in a file called gmon.out (or something similar). And then you run

gprof myprog.exe gmon.out

to see the output (of course you can give different switches to gprof to select what output you want).

What do you use to view gmon.out? I tried viewing it with both dev and wordpad, nethier worked.

gmon.out isn''t ''human readable'' (i.e. not text ). Use gprof to generate text output from it (read my post above).

Thanks, that kind of worked but the output was on the msdos window. How do I output onto a text file?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!