Help with a game

Started by
3 comments, last by Husker 21 years, 9 months ago
I have a question for an experienced programmer. Currently i am making a text-based, rpg game, and i was wondering what compiler/libraries i should use. Currently i am using Bloodshed Dev C++ with allegro, but i am having trouble finding the right commands for scrolling textbox''s etc. Any suggesions are welcome. Thanks in advance. Husker
Advertisement
As for which tools to use, it all depends on what you''re doing. Whether you want it window based, DOS/Console, etc... It''s also mainly preference.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
I think there''s no point to use allegro to create text-based games.
Like Daishi said.. you must first choose the target platform you''re coding for.

--
The wiener takes it all
-- The wiener takes it all
Sounds like your doing a text rpg with a graphical user interface as far as using a listbox. In general anytime you introduce a gui into your program your also introducing alot of complexity. I''m not familiar with allegro''s gui routines so I can''t help you there. Ask yourself what your goal is; to complete a textbased rpg or do a text rpg with graphical user interface features. If you want to focus on completing the game before adding a pretty interface I would recommend 1. writing it as a console app and printf everything to the screen or 2. check out gametutorials.com for some good tutorials about formatting console output with setconsolecursorposition() + others. (Most of the console tutorials are ported to dev c++)
Thanks for answering my question, i think i will go ahead and program it as a console program. Maybe once I get it done i might start ading fancy GUI features. THanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement