• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

Books recommendations

This topic is 5810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I´m planning to learn OpenGL soon and I´d like to know which books would you recommend me to start with. I´m quite fluent at C/C++ and have some experience with DirectX (no Direct3D, though). I have been doing some research at Amazon and ''OpenGL Game Programming'' and ''The Red Book'' seem like a good choice. ‘Computer Graphics using OpenGL’ looks nice, too. Anyway, what do you guys recommend me? Thanks!

Advertisement
the red book is free online

I tried to code, but the compiler kept giving me an error: stupid coder alert.

hpotter2

quote:
‘Computer Graphics using OpenGL’ looks nice, too

This book from what I remember (been a while since I last saw it) mainly focuses on the maths behind graphics, rather than using OpenGL to accomplish the rendering of graphics. I suggest OpenGL Game Programming and the Red Book.

Definitely go with ''OpenGL Game Programming.'' It would be pretty difficult for a beginner (like I was, who had trouble getting started with it). But since you already have a good amount of experience with C/C++ and DirectX, you can jump right in and not get caught up in the Windows programming stuff in the beginning, like messages and stuff (which is a little tricky for a first-time Windows programmer).

Anyway, OGL Game Programming covers a breadth of OGL topics. Although some subjects could be covered in greater detail, it does its job well, and will be a tremendous learning experience for you.

Also, don''t forget to look at NeHe''s site (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) for OpenGL tutorials ranging from setting up a simple window to more complex topics, like bump mapping and cel-shading.

I believe I''m thinking of the right "Computer Graphics Using OpenGL"... If so, then I''d say it''s a great book if you''re looking to really understand the math behind the graphics. It goes into some fractal stuff, splines and equations for using them, etc.. Also a great section on creating a pretty decent raytracer.

Ok people, thanks for the advice! I think I´ll get OpenGL game programming and check the link that hpotter2 suggested. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!