• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pineapple-2100

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

This topic is 5931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been programming for about a year now in MSVC++ 6.0 Intro. Edition, and I think I''m ready to buy a compiler that allows me to distribute the end-product... but MSCV++ 6.0 standard isn''t carried at CompUSA (the only store I can think it would be), and not even Amazon.com. MSVC++ .NET is the new, hot thing apparently. I know its a stupid question, but when hard-earned money is put on the line, i''ll risk asking it. How new is MSVC++ .NET, and should i be fine recompiling old programs and coding the same way, coming from its predecessor and such? If anyone has upgraded from MSVC++ 6.0 to .NET, please speak up :]

Advertisement
One of the things you might run into is initial problems with using old libraries. When I converted an old project (VC6.0) to a 7.0 (.NET), it still tried to link to MFC4.2 while I wanted it to link with the newer MFC7.0. After lots of searching, I could not find WHY it was trying to link to 4.2, since there were no references to it at all, but it simply wouldn''t compile.
Frustrated, I went back to 6.0, tried to compile, and it gave a linker error trying to find MFC7.0!! (I wasn''t about to set the include / lib directories so that it would find 7.0, I just wanted it to compile like it used to.)

So, really annoyed, I just sort of fired up 7.0 again, tried to compile again (just so I could see the error once more), and this time, it compiled without fault! And I hadn''t changed anything.

Moral of the story: convert your projects, close VC7.0, reopen it, and THEN try to compile

If you have a powerful enough PC (900 Mhz AMD, 256MB memory, nice large fast HDD and virtual memory set to about 1GB or so works fine for me), Visual Studio .NET''s IDE is a bit of an adjustment, but it has some really nice improvements such as tabbed source windows (were also available with some third party software in 6.0) and better integrated help, etc..

I found it just opened my 6.0 workspaces, converted them to the new format and let me compile straight away. Though I wasn''t using MFC, so maybe that''s something... It also compiled a hell of a lot faster

codeka.com - Just click it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!