Playing for hours?

Started by
3 comments, last by bahamas 21 years, 9 months ago
I wonder (and I ask you advice): What is the ''ideal'' lenght for a multi-player game? The game which I think about is (will be) a real-time tactical game (somewhat like the combat part of a RTS: remove the slow-paced strategy, it stays the fast-paced tactics.) that will be fast-paced and very intense: the player will not have a rest during the game (except minor variations of pace that can be ignored for the current purpose). The player will feel in a hurry to achieve the victory conditions. I guess that 20 to 30 minutes would be a good lenght for an ''average'' game: the game must be long enough to allow more than one tactic and more than one battle and some reversals of the situation. But if the game is too long the player will be less focused, which, because of the ''always intense'' oriented gameplay, must be avoided. But 20 to 30 minutes is only a guess, and if you have an advice (or links to some articles) , it will be helpful.
While(game.quality == good) play();
Advertisement
As a gamer I know that - if you find the game fun to play - you can sit (with your friends in a basement) for hours playing an intense game (such as the old good Half-Life mod Team Fortress Classic (one player is the VIP who must be protected by other players (bodyguards) and taken to the rescue point - but between the starting point and the goal stalks the opposite team: the assaisins) or the new Alien vs Predetor 2 (players play either alien, marine of predetor - all trying to kill eachother having different advatages such as wall climbing or auto-aiming weapons)).

Since adrenalin (or whatever) is filling your veins you can stay focused for at *least* 1,5 hours.

Hope it's for some help

[edited by - Niskala on June 28, 2002 1:01:17 PM]
I think a multiplayer game like StarCraft should last around 30 minutes to an hour and a half. As long as there is enough variety. But maybe 2 or 3 games actually take place, making the logged on time around 3 hours.

Playing FPS''s, I might stay on for about 2 hours if I''m doing well, or things are going well generally. Sometimes the mood can break after a map is done, so I might only be on a half hour.

Games likes EverQuest, though, I could be logged on 5-6 hours. If not a lot was happening, I might log off after 30 minutes.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Thanks, I think I will go with 40 mn.
While(game.quality == good) play();
Or you could just let the host choose the game length.;p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement