• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexDump

Where would you guys place the Object Manager? (Game Engine or Application side)

This topic is 5893 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Guys, I would like some oneto give his/her point of view about where a Object Manager should be placed. I have been talking with some friends and all said that it should be placed in the aplication side, but I don´k like the idea. The thing that leads me to think they are not totally right is that I tend to push things that will be the same for all games into the game engine. What I mean is: 1 - I have things splited this way in my design: APPLICATION DATA - APPLICATION - GAME ENGINE. APPLICATION DATA: Images, meshes, etc.... APPLICATION: Here is where game logic is made. GAME ENGINE: generic code independant of the type of game you are creating, plus some utils, etc.... 2 - My enemies, players, etc... are classes defined in the application side. My Game Engine will give me a CObject or something like this from where every enemy, etc... will inherit. This objects will be registered thought the game engine and added to a Plugable factory, this way, I can have all the object manager thing written only once (into the game engine, and not writing one for every game I want to make). Then I will add the objects to the scene manager and attach them to the world, etc... and my renderer will go through the scene and paint everything. Is this a good design for you?, pls bring some light here. Anybody sees any drawbacks?. Thnx in advance. HexDump. [edited by - HexDump on June 28, 2002 1:25:13 PM]

Advertisement
I tried the same thing, bits worked well (I''m still using the input -> pawn lock), but It got a bit messy when writing the main game code, as I had to keep going through the engine to get pawn data. I''m writing a modifed version now with all objects in the engine, but with the engine itself as the main app windows/systems wrapper outside it, loading, AI and physics functions inside.

So, yes I think its a good idea, used carefully (loading abstraction problem solved , many different types in same file).

,Jay

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!