• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MatuX

Camera Rotation around a 3D point

This topic is 5984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why is it so hard? When my camera is at position X 0, Y 0 and Z 0 in the world, everything is perfectly fine, but when it''s in any other place it circles around the 0,0,0 point of the world.. This is what I am doing: LoadIdentity(matTemp); LoadIdentity(matView) MatrixRotateY(matTemp, camAngle); MatrixMultiply(matView, matView, matTemp); MatrixLookAtLH(matTemp, camEye, camAt, camUp); MatrixMultiply(matView, matView, matTemp); TransformMatrix(D3DTS_VIEW, matTemp); matView is the View Matrix, matTemp is a custom matrix to hold the values. camAngle is the angle. Please... 2 days have passed and I still can''t figure this out...

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Since you are using DirectX, it is possible to use the D3DX helper library.

I believe it downloads seperate from DirectX 8 but comes with 7.

Check out the LookAtMatrix and LookAtMatrixLH functions. All you would have to specify is the point in space where your camera is located and then a look at point which could be built from your position and a directional vector. To rotate the camera, you would rotate the directional vector. To move the camera, you would move the position.

I''m not at my computer so I can''t dump some code here, but this is the way I solved the problem. I also had to write a short function to convert the D3DXMATRIX to a D3DMATRIX.

-James

Sorry to disturb, but, what are you doing...?

LoadIdentity(matTemp);//loading the identity matrix
LoadIdentity(matView);//again??
MatrixRotateY(matTemp, camAngle);/*you load a identity rotated matrix, i usually start here*/
MatrixMultiply(matView, matView, matTemp);/*well ... you multiply it by the identity....*/
MatrixLookAtLH(matTemp, camEye, camAt, camUp); /* make a matrix that "look" to a point (rotaiting it to focus the point i belive 0,0,0 i think here''s your mistake)*/
MatrixMultiply(matView, matView, matTemp);/*you multiply it. I don''t know what you want to get*/

TransformMatrix(D3DTS_VIEW, matTemp);//you put it

i usually do ...

MatrixRotateY(&matRY, camAngle);//rotate
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matT,0,0,g_fDistanceZ);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matView,&matRY,&matT);
/*first rotate then translate multiplication it''s not conmutative... in matrix*/

(D3DTS_VIEW, matTemp);

if this is not your question.. sorry in advance.

The camera is dynamic, I modify it everytime the user asks for.

The way I do it *now* was the only logical way I found of doing what I wanted:

// reset both matrices
LoadIdentity(matTemp);
LoadIdentity(matView);

// move camera to where the user is
MatrixTranslate(matTemp, MYXPOS, MYYPOS, MYZPOS);

// do whatever I have to do
MatrixRotateZ(matTemp, camAngle.x);
MatrixMultiply(matView, matView, matTemp);
etc. etc.
multiply.

// back to original pos
MatrixTranslate(matTemp, 0, 0, 0);

// we say matTemp will be a LookAtLH matrix
MatrixLookAtLH(matTemp, camVEye, camVAt, camVUp);

// finally, transform
TransformMatrix(D3DTS_VIEW, matView);

Maybe I''m doing not necessary stuff, but I''m somewhat newbie to matrix math

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!