• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nckchan

measuring velocity & acceleration for dead reckoning

This topic is 5926 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m using the dead reckoning to predict the objects'' movement. All the movement of the objects are controlled by a computer using random velocity. I can''t measure the velocity and the acceleration accurately. Can someone propose some methods to measure them??? Thx!!! William

Advertisement
I believe most people do it with two different vectors. The velocity vector will more or less the the direction and velocity of the object. It could actually be used to point exactly from the objects center to where the object should be after 1 second of continous travel. The acceleration vector shows in which direction the forces against theobject are pushing it. For instance a car usually accelerates forward. Although in some cases, such as a ball being thrown straight up, this won''t be the case. Its acceleration is always the force gravity and wind put on it. So even though it''s Velocity vector is pointing up, the acceleration will be pointing down meaning its stopping.

If this didn''t help you much please be a bit more specific with the question and I''ll try again.

~Vendayan

Thx for reply
I know I should get the velocity vector and the acceleration vecotr but I don''t know how to get an accurate vectors of an moving object. The ripple occurs due to the incorrect velocity and acceleration.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!