• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greg2

GLUT Versus WGL

This topic is 5832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is GLUT faster than WGL and the Win32 Api? I have ported one of my program from GLUT to the win32 api. It was fluid with GLUT. But with the win32 Api it''s jerky. And in exclusive fullscreen mode, i have some bugs (some distortion like animated waves on the polygons). And it''s the same thing with or without lighting (not slower, not faster). I use the NeHe methode for creating the window and for the message loop. Why have i this bugs? (i display a model with 3380 faces)

Advertisement
Looks like a depth buffer issue to me, try either making the window 32bit color rather than 16 or bump out the near plane

quote:
Original post by greg2
Is GLUT faster than WGL and the Win32 Api?

I don''t expect any significant performance hit from using GLUT. Put it another way, I don''t think you''ll notice difference in framerate if you switch from one to another.

Thanks, Chowe6685. I have make my window in 32 bit color and my bugs are disapeared.

The program is faster than in 16 bits.

But it''s not as faster as GLUT (specialy in windowed mode).

Its in the way the video system is made, usually, 16 bits colors... 16 bits Z buffer, 32 bits color... 32 bits Z buffer, sometimes its 24 bits on videocards like S3 Savage4.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

quote:
Original post by greg2
Is GLUT faster than WGL and the Win32 Api?

Not likely, as GLUT on the Win32 platform calls the wGL functions and uses the WinAPI for window management.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!