Designing games...

Started by
3 comments, last by elis-cool 21 years, 9 months ago
I like to design games and stuff, I have designed quite a few, and each has a good 8-10 pages (A4, covered both sides) with info on the games, these are only 2D though, and I have a few pages with rough ideas about games on them and stuff. But the thing is, there are alot of game ideas that sound really cool at first, but then you start to actually dig deeper into the design and you just know that it wont work, and you just think, "would this be a game I would really want to play?". Then there are other ideas that are like, well I wouldnt mind playing it, it would be pretty cool, but it wouldnt last very long at all, and you just dont think it deserves to be implemented by you, eg waste of time etc... Sorry about this rant, is this what you guys are like? well im not to sure about you guys over here, eg are you even programmers or whatever? Im working on a very cool Super-Breakout type game, it has awesome graphics and such... Also whatever people say, it is true that in some cases graphics make the game, and I being a programmer know what goes into driving them, but none-the-less, I am still more likly to play it etc if it has good graphics... Again, sorry for the rant, comments? CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Advertisement
I must reply here, graphics are the worst enemy for games these days. Most companys advertise with things like "killer graphics", "realistic deaths"... I can still (and do) play good old NES and SNES games. Graphics IMO dont make the game at all, they instead slow down the true development of games. Though we all need graphics, but companies these days just seem to want to create a special effects program instead of a game. Look at doom3 and Unreal2, the only things we know about them right now is that they have mind blowing graphics, what about gameplay?

Anyway, the point is, graphics dont make the game, they can help but its the gamePLAY that makes the game, without it you just have a pretty slideshow
I agree, but there has to be some good graphics in it as well. I still to like the old school games. But even then some have better graphics than others. But that is no excuse for bad gameplay of which it must have. All im saying is that I would be alot more likly to even download it if it has pretty graphics as well...

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Pretty graphics do help market a game, just as a pretty book cover can help market the book, or an impressive trailer can help turn a movie into a quick blockbuster, or a belly button on a cd can help sell an album. The difference is that in games, the graphics DO give you a feeling of the game as you play. If a games graphics don''t appeal to you, it probably wont give you a good feeling. It might still be a good game, but more appealing graphics would help alot in how you FEEL about the game.

By the way, notice I said APPEALING graphics. The appeal of graphics is personal and doesn''t have much to do with the technology level of those graphics. For instance, the graphics in the original mario game appeal to me, while the graphics in Unreal Tournament don''t particularly appeal to me.
Graphics are a way to increase initial product impact since no one can report on the game play. They also aid immersion, but are only a component of this and good gameplay, storyline etc etc etc can overcome weaker graphics.

One advantage of a strong all round product with poor graphics is that you can usually get help with the graphics, if the game itself is no good all the help in the world wont help.

As to how far you can go with the graphics vs gameplay issue what about (shows his age) ''Chuckie Egg'' or ''Space invaders'' for that matter. There are thousands of space invader clones largely because the game is so frustratingly addictive yet has poor graphics.

Good luck with the breakout game.

Regards
Baelwrath
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement