Help! One simple request.

Started by
5 comments, last by cyssis 21 years, 9 months ago
Hey all, I have a request. I am trying to learn DirectX 8, and I''ve been trying to work through some code, but to no avail. I work best by looking through example code (how I learned HTML, C, QBASIC, PERL, etc.) but I can''t find a single complete sample to look at (trust me, I''ve been trying). All I want is a VC++ workspace/.cpp file that''ll initialize a window, and run through the OneTimeSceneInit(), InitDeviceObjects(), RestoreDeviceObjects(), FrameMove(), Render(), InvalidateDeviceObjects(), DeleteDeviceObjects(), & FinalCleanup(). All I need is a blank window. I have the DirectX 8 SDK, so I have all the library files, but please include any headers I''d need, etc. I just need something to sort of sift through. I''m sure some of ya have an old piece of code lying around. If it''s annotated, that''d be great (sparse or not, just a simple "//This makes it run" for whatever is important would be great.) Thanks alot. I hope this isn''t too annoying of a newbie request.
Advertisement

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPevInst, LPSTR CmdLine, int CmdShow){    HRESULT ddrval;	MSG msg;	// Set up and register window class	WNDCLASSEX WndCls = { sizeof(WNDCLASSEX), CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW, WndProc, 0L, 0L, 		hInst, LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION), LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW), 		(HBRUSH) GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH), NULL, Classname,		LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION) };	RegisterClassEx(&WndCls);		g_hWnd = CreateWindowEx( WS_EX_TOPMOST, Classname, Title, WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE,		0, 0, GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN), GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN), 		NULL, NULL, hInst, NULL);        ShowWindow(g_hWnd,SW_NORMAL);	UpdateWindow(g_hWnd);  
Have you heard of DirectX 8 appwizard? I think it might be what you''re looking for.

Do you want specifically code that uses Common Files framework or any simple code?

There''s also some stuff on MSDN, I don''t know if it''s of any use to you.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Umm.. Nope, I haven''t heard of dX appwizard... Sound''s good. As for the Common files/ code: By the common files do you mean the files in the mssdk/samples/multimedia/common/include or src? I just want something that will work on any machine that has DirectX 8 installed. Thanks.
How about the samples included with the SDK?
I''ve been looking through those, but they''re too advanced for me right now. I basically want to see what is necessary and what is not. What I''d really like is a barebones piece of code that''ll initialize a D3D window and shut it down. Just to find out what everything does and what is neccessary and what''s not.
Take a look at NeXe tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement