• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FxMazter

Textures with DirectDraw

This topic is 5859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I was wondering if it is possible to do this with DirectDraw: I want to make a grass texture for the game we (me and some friends) are planning. Then on top of this, I want to render a "path" texture wich is actually any other texture. (Could be dirt or anything...) To get the "pathlooking" texture I want to fade the "path" texture in vertical direction, thus making it look like a path. Like this: _________________________________________________________ | | grass texture | __________________ | | _______ | | |fade | | | grass texture | | |dirt- | | | | | t |fade| | | | e | | | grass texture | | x | | | |fade | t | | | | | u | | | | | r |fade| | | | e | | thx

Advertisement
Sorry, it all messed up. Here comes a new picture

Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to do this with DirectDraw:

I want to make a grass texture for the game we (me and some friends) are planning. Then on top of this, I want to render a "path" texture wich is actually any other texture. (Could be dirt or anything...) To get the "pathlooking" texture I want to fade the "path" texture in vertical direction, thus making it look like a path.

Like this:
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx fade CCCCCCCCCCCC IIII xxxx grass texture
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IIIII CCCCCCCCCCCC IIII xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IIIII CCCCCCCCCCCC fade xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IIIII dirt-texture IIII xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|x grass texture xx IIIII CCCCCCCCCCCC IIII xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx fade CCCCCCCCCCCC IIII xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IIIII CCCCCCCCCCCC fade xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thx

I don''t think so. I think it has the API functions for doing it, but it was never supported. You really need to either blend it yourself in software, or use a 3D API such as Direct3D or OpenGL. You might want to look for some sort of library that gives you 2D functionality over a 3D API for you.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

Just use bitmaps and blit to your grass texture and use color keying to make the edges smooth. If your "path" will have to be blitted on to multiple kinds of textures...then you need to do your own blending - unless you want to have bitmaps for all possible textures being blitted over.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!