3D Graphics Math Book

Started by
3 comments, last by mageziyx 21 years, 9 months ago
any recommendations for a book that has theory and formulas only? (without programming code)
Advertisement
"Mathematics for Computer Graphics Applications" by M.E. Mortenson (published by Industrial Press)

That''s an easy going book. Doesn''t cover some things in extreme depth, but does teach you the important maths.

I''d also recommend the books such as Computer Graphics Principles & Practice and Realtime Rendering, but they do contain some code/pseudocode, but they do cover the stuff which is algorithmic rather than purely mathematical.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

3D Game Engine Design is another math oriented book on computer graphics. It is heavily math oriented and in fact after trying to go through that book I decided I needed to go back to college to at least learn the notation if nothing else.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Yep, I definately agree about 3D Game Engine Design.
It has a heavy emphasis on maths - a good book, but definately not recommended if you''re not already comfortable with maths.

"Mathematics for Computer Graphics Applications" would IMO be a good introduction to the maths required to get the most out of "3D Game Engine Design".

The CD which comes with 3D Game Engine Design is very handy when it comes to seeing how to implement (in C++) the principles described in text.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

If it doesn''t have to be specifically for computer graphics, the publisher Dover http://www.doverpublications.com/ makes softcover math texts that are 10 - 15 dollars (pretty cheap!!!), There are books on linear algebra, vectors, and probably other topics than can be applied to 3d graphics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement