• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sashka

How to create multiplayer game

This topic is 5862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone knows where can I find tutorials on creating multiplayer game? I mean creating server&client applications under Windows.

Advertisement
Theres a section right here on this site (GameDev). Heres the address:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=30

[edited by - blueEbola on June 29, 2002 7:11:14 PM]

Hi!

I just finished developping a 3d game with full multiplayer support. I used Indy UDP to achieve this. Here my two cents:

-Forget direct play ;-) many friends lost their mind implementing this nasty stuff
-take a look at indy (www.nevrona.com/indy)
-use the UDP sendbuffer method - i will soon release a tutorial with full source code - you may mail me if you''d like to go for a chat on how to make a network engine for your game - i just finished mine and am in vacation, so I''d enjoy sharing my experiences!

Good Luck!

As I understood, Indy is supported only under Borland C and not Visual C.Also it says there that it uses only blocking connections while I need non-blocking one (at least for the client).Maybe it''s better to write multiplayer simply using windows sockets and without any complex libs?

"HawkNL is a free, open source, game oriented network API released under the GNU Library General Public License (LGPL). Actually, it is three APIs. There is a fairly low level API, HawkNL low level (NL), which is a wrapper over sockets. NL has been tested on Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/CE, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, BSDs, MacOS 7-9 and MacOS X. Then there are the two high level APIs, HawkNLU™ (NLU) and HawkVoice™, which are built on top of NL. It is NLU and HawkVoice™ that are most exciting, since they give developers portable, easy to use alternatives to Microsoft®''s DirectPlay® and DirectPlay® Voice."
http://www.hawksoft.com/hawknl/

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||

Use DirectPlay

Woot, go Microsoft

But if you feel like you''re drowning whenever COM objects come into play, you may need to read a tutorial or seven.

Don''t fear the corporations, embrace them...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!