OK....what route to go? (Newb C++ question)

Started by
7 comments, last by Ritual Magic 21 years, 9 months ago
Hiya alls OK, I''ve been doing C++ for a year now as part of my University curriculum. I certainly wouldn''t say I am proficient, but I''m pretty familiar with classes now. I''d like to get into both general Windows programming and game programming in general. What route should I take? MFC? DirectX? OpenGL?? Frankly I''m confused....:/ RM.
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
Advertisement
Dont bother with MFC for right now, just learn standard win32 programming. As for Opengl or DirectX do some research here at gamedev and you should be able to make the decision yourself. Either one is just fine.
For DirectX (Direct3D) and OpenGL, read
Direct3D vs. OpenGL: Which API to Use When, Where, and Why
No to start anything but I PERSONALLY belive that opengl is easyer to begin with if your newer to programming and you want to do graphics, but you make that decistion your self.
Is OpenGL to be used for 2d gfx? I mean if I want to make a 2d engine, I would go with direct draw right?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is OpenGL to be used for 2d gfx? I mean if I want to make a 2d engine, I would go with direct draw right?

quote:Snippet from OpenGL forum FAQ
YES! OpenGL can do 2D games and demos!
If you're going to be making tools then mfc. Games can use win32. For 3D work I use dx8.1 which I like more than Opengl. Some people prefer Opengl though so it's a toss up. Both apis are very similar so if you understand one you can switch to the other and vice versa. As for C++, MFC relies heavily on virtual functions as well as inheritance so it's good to know how these concepts work. I would look into STL and templates. Templates can maximize code reuse and can solve some hard problems. I don't use them heavily they're more of a special tool to use when normal methods fail(in my case). I suppose you can go all out and mimick STL concepts like functors, containers, iterators all under scope of generic programming. Going back to win32 issue, this api is very low level compared to mfc. I used to be hard win32 user but then the extra work got to me and ever since then I've been mfc supporter. Mfc can be hard, especially knowing calling order in the framework but this is workable thru trial and error and mfc source code. Don't despair though as you'll be using win32 together with mfc since some things can only be done thru win32 including cursor work, file handling(moving/copying folders), etc.

[edited by - JD on July 2, 2002 3:48:30 AM]
Thanks for all the advice and comments, guys. Unfortunately, I think what is getting in my way most here is simply not being familiar with the vocabulary. Things like APIs, frameworks, libraries, templates, etc etc just basically confuss me

However, I am reading through a couple of VERY basic faqs at the moment, and with a little luck I can start getting a basic undestanding of the world outside DOS/VAX console programming. I''m sure I saw a glossary around here on this site somewhere...

/me wanders off to look...

Again, thanks

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
For the game glossary look here.

[edited by - Mephisto on July 2, 2002 8:15:02 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement