What do you think about the physics in my game? (Astro clone)

Started by
12 comments, last by linus78 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi. Im working on a Astro clone, and I was wondering if you guys could test it and tell me what you think about the physics. So please download it from: http://hem.passagen.se/linushomepage/opengl/AstroFighter.zip And try it out, be aware that I havent tried to make it look good I wanted to get the physics and all done before I started to make it look cool. Thanks, Linus
Advertisement
I really like the ship''s movement. The way you have taken care of rotation along with the movement makes simply pushing the arrow keys quite fun This is probably the most fun implementation of physics in an Astroids clone I have ever played. Good luck.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
That is very very cool. Now I just need someone to play with. But the only problem I can see with it is that you can''t destroy the other ship (as far as I can tell).

Keep it up,

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
That was FUN!

I mean, theres not much to do, but those physics are nice. I also like how the ship moves, it takes some getting used to but once you get a hang of it its fun. Looking good!
Thanks for the feedback, Im glad you guys liked it!

The next thing on my Todo list is to make it possible to destroy the other ship. The way it is now the HP just loops back to 100 if the ship dies.

Any ides how to make an explosion?

//Linus

[edited by - linus78 on June 30, 2002 4:24:00 AM]
I like the way the spaceships ''tips'' a bit when turning. It looks good.

The physics is very playable, but not exactly realistic. When you release the forward key, the spaceship gradually stops. In space it would just keep going (there''s no friction). Also, it would not be possible to brake or fly backwards. To do that, it would be necesarry to turn the ship around and fire the trusters in the opposite direction.

Then again, modeling it ''correct'' would make the ships much harder to control. If you aim for gameplay rather than realism, then your physics is just fine.

To make an explotion, you could just paint an explotion texture and put it on a quad placed at the player position (or several textures to make an animation). Or you could make some sort of simple particle system.
I noticed that only one ship tilts when it turns. I hope this doesn''t mean that you copied and pasted the same code for the different ships. If that is the case, it is just going to piss you off when you decide that you want to change something, add more players, and probably get you lost and disoriented while debugging.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
smart_idiot: you are right only one ship is tilting when its turning, and it should tilt. Its my fault I forgot to remove a comment in the DrawGLScene(); function. I removed the tilting when i was trying some different physics.

Anyway a new version is up:

http://hem.passagen.se/linushomepage/opengl/AstroFighter.zip

The new thing in this version is some early work on explosions and of course I fixed the tilting.

//Linus
I get an CRC error when trying to unzip your new file, am I the only one with that problem?
Try again, I upped a new one.

//Linus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement