• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CWizard

OpenGL Why always 0.5 FPS with OpenGL stuff?

This topic is 5836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now, I would like someone who recognize this issue to let me know what hell is the cause. Everytime I download a cool openGL demo or game, it always run at crawling speed; for light ones (non-3D) 10-20 FPS, and a bit heavier <1 FPS! Why is this, my platform is this: PIII ~500Mhz 128 MB RAM Voodoo3 16MB Windows XP A little old nowadays, but doesn''t explain why. Could it be a driver problem? Any ideas?

Advertisement
You dont have hardware opengl drivers for your card installed. Preferable, get a NEW (and I stress NEW) video card. Make sure its a decent one as well, no gf4*MX* crap.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

I know that my hardware are a bit old, but most non-openGL still work fine. Are you saying there are no openGL driver for my gfx card? If anyone know where I can find drivers that work for my computer, please let me know. I really can''t afford to buy new hardware to this computer at the moment.

Guest Anonymous Poster
you can get from here http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/

perhaps the demos require stencil buffer, voodoo3 only runs at 16bit colour u need 32bit colour for hardware stencil thus any demo with stencil will run in software (less than 1 fps)
try downloading a simple glut demo or try quake3

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

Man, i really wouldn''t bother with trying to get your Voodoo to do OpenGL. It''s more headache than its worth and you will not be happy with the results. If you dont have too much money to spend, grab a TNT2 or if you can spare like $50, get a Geforce2. Just check www.pricewatch.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried once more installing drivers etc (from voodoofiles and that link provided by our Anonymous Poster), but failed like usual. I belive I have working drivers in Win98, but here in WinXP its hell getting anything working .

I really won''t buy a new gfx card for this thing (I have an Nvida 64 on my office ), as I don''t play any games on it (except Rollcage (Glide version), which works like a charm ). Other games/demos I tried works just fine. I just would like to check out what people do here in openGL, but don''t think it''s worth spending money on that.

I must also say that I believe that there must be something else than just non-acceleration that makes it crawl. I''ve seen GL stuff that doesn''t use any 3D etc that only get about 10 FPS, while I easily could make a copy of it in Windows'' GDI that would run at least at 50-100 FPS. This is also true for 3D stuff, that seem slower than if I did something similar all-in-software on my good old Amiga 500!!!

I''d hate to tell you to upgrade drivers again, but check out this program:
GLSetup

It automatically detects your video card and downloads the latest drivers for it. Give it a try. It worked wonders for me (the drivers I got weren''t specific to my card, but they still work beautifully).

>>I must also say that I believe that there must be something else than just non-acceleration that makes it crawl. I''ve seen GL stuff that doesn''t use any 3D etc that only get about 10 FPS<<

sounds very much like u dont have hardware acceleration,
download the quake3arena demo, if that runs ok then your drivers are ok

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

Your problem is not in the system,becouse the Voodoo supports OpenGL more than any other video card.You can try with downloading the newest OpenGL drivers.I''ll suggest something.If you have QUAKE 3 or SERIOUS SAM than you can install the GLSetup that comes with the games.If that don''t work try to upgrade your system.

The pain is coming...this sommer!!!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!